Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just Joined Advice  (Read 3323 times)

Talgarreg

• Joined Mar 2009
Just Joined Advice
« on: March 13, 2009, 03:21:04 pm »
So here I am in Wales. Large house, but small garden. However, it does have a purpose built stables, ( three boxes about 12ft by 12ft)all with electric and water, and against the back of the stables, some nine purpose built concrete dog kennels. ( previous owner bred terriers )
I have two pet dogs, collie and labrador, but not keen on dog breeding.........would like some advice as to how best to use stables and kennels area ( which has high mesh wire fence surround, the nine separate partitioned kennels and fairly large enclosed conrete area to the front of the stables.) Could I use this area for chickens ? Or Turkeys ? Is grass and natural ground a real must have for them? And the stables, I could fill them with mushrooms I suppose, or I could use them as winter quarters for chickens and turkeys, or I could do something else with them? I have bred quail from eggs and kept them both in the stables and kennels,and could do this again.......Any suggestions for this kind of area most welcome. In old money, the stables and kennels occupy an area about 60ft long and 30 feet deep. The kennels back on to the stables and run the length of the stables.

HappyHippy

Re: Just Joined Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 06:25:23 pm »
Hello & welcome to the forum !
I'm afaid the only advice I could give is to offer boarding for dogs (if you wanted to make an income & had the time to dedicate to it) and possibly the same for horses (although without a field I don't know how viable it would be)
I'm sure you'll get more advice from experienced chicken keepers on what suits them.
Good luck & keep us posted  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17:48 pm »
Hi and welcome.  Sorry dont have any advice.  Perhaps surf the web for ideas?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:46:14 pm »
Could you plant and grow semi hardy plants in pots and sell them on? Like a mini garden centre - or maybe a herb centre?  If you have a greenhouse they could be started in that and hardened off in the stables.  Chickens and ducks would be fine in there if they could also have an outside area and a kids paddling pool for the ducks.  It would be easily cleaned - just hosed down (the ducks would love that!)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:02:37 am »
Hello there,

I don't see why you couldn't keep chickens and ducks in the kennel areas. For the chickens I would provide some large shallow containers and put earth/dust/grit in them for them to scratch around, some branches or logs for perches etc, and then you can always move these around and hose the kennels down as Annie says. For the ducks obviously, containers of water are more important than earth.

Beth

sandy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »
I agree that most forms of foul would be great, you could have different breads of birds, hens, ducks etc, easier to clean than on grass as long as you give chickens something to scratch. Not sure if you would want, be allowed to or afford a cattery, they can be expensive to set up but there is some money to be made from cattery's, you have to apply to the council as you may not be in a good position re: neighbours etc. I was tempted to put an offer in for a pet cemetery before we decided it was expensive!!! Another option is maybe you could let out some space for workshops, people always want storage or somewhere to work.....Hope you keep us informed of what you do at least birds will keep you in food...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »
I think you could keep small groups of hens - be good for pure breeding. As long as you tried to make the surface as natural as possible. There's a thread on here with photos of a run made "hen" friendly.

Oh, and welcome

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS