Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats in my attic  (Read 9125 times)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
Rats in my attic
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »
which is worse than bats in my belfry. We seem to have some unpaying lodgers in our loft space which we are quite keen to evict. Thing is, we're not sure what the best method is; poison or traps, nor whether it's something we can do or is it better to get someone in. We're a bit wary of using poison as we have 3 cats, and there are a couple of cats around us and we're concerned about them eating the poisoned rats. However, access is a bit challenging in places (it being a 400 yr old property), so traps may be hard to place.
Any thoughts much appriated.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Rats in my attic
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:54:52 pm »
A lot of the poisons work really quickly, I actually found one dead in the entrance to the bait box

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:25 pm »
find a friend with a proven ratting cat or small terrier introduce to loft and listen for the carnage....

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23:33 pm »
MikeM,
I don't know what your local council are like but I saw a rat in the garden. I rang the local council and they sent a man to sort it out.  He put some poison down and was careful that it couldn't be got at by our pets.  He also checked the loft space for me to make sure it was all clear.

He came back a week later to check that all was well and then a month after that too.  Excellent service and it didn't cost me anything.  Might be worth a try.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:12 pm »
Bionic,

I didn't think of that. I shall give em a call tomorrow. Thanks.

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 12:03:07 am »
The council cut its free pest service a few years ago so we are regular users of a local firm who are quick and brilliant dealing with the wasps nest in summer and the influx of mice every winter.

He came a month ago and left about 15 bait stations which he checked a week or so ago.  Mikey our terrier cross  axe murderer tells us when there's an infestation.  If they come above the floor boards he executes them.  He's damn fast and very persistent.

We have some feral cats in the stables (supplied by one of the cat charities) which do an efficient job outdoors.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 07:22:18 am »
I once looked around an old thatch house which had a couple of very dead cats in the loft. I was told cats were thrown up there to keep the mice and rats under control - no food = dead cat but no rats!!

Although we have no evidence of rats or mice we thought of getting a cat ( off free cycle !!) as our attic adjoins the barn. According to my 80 year old neighbour - we already have a cat - guess what it lives in our barn !! Some mornings we now see a black cat sat in the field waiting to pounce. Maybe he has exhausted his food supply in the barn and other buildings.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:40 am »
I once looked around an old thatch house which had a couple of very dead cats in the loft. I was told cats were thrown up there to keep the mice and rats under control - no food = dead cat but no rats!!

Although we have no evidence of rats or mice we thought of getting a cat ( off free cycle !!) as our attic adjoins the barn. According to my 80 year old neighbour - we already have a cat - guess what it lives in our barn !! Some mornings we now see a black cat sat in the field waiting to pounce. Maybe he has exhausted his food supply in the barn and other buildings.
That is pure cruelty.  It is a well known fact that cats hunt better if they are fed regularly.  They are fitter and therefore better at their job.  And what is the point of dead cats - the rats and mice will just come back.  They are not daft!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »
and the possibility of the house being stinking and full of maggots and flies :farmer:

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:03:39 pm »
we do have 3 cats, but our tom is a bit old, arthritic (and, well stupid and useless frankly) to be a reliable hunter. The kittens are only 3 months old, but are certainly showing all the signs of being terrific hunters. In a couple of months maybe.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 02:17:27 pm »
Since it's inside you could try the bicarb and oats stuff.  I used it outside so it got a bit air damp but haven't seen any rats for a while so it may have worked.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 03:24:06 am »
i think it's time you gave your cat there walking papers  go see someone with a lot of barn cats i find  the female cat make the mousers

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 03:40:43 pm »
What is the bicarb and oats stuff please

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »
Wouldn't advise poison in the house. The rats are going to die, rot and stink somewhere hidden. We had one die above the bedroom ceiling above the bed; it rotted and soaked into the plasterboard and fetched the paint off. First thing is to find out how they are getting in and block it in Spring, when they are out. Traps with peanut butter or chocholate drops work well, but tie them down or they will wander off with them.

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 11:10:48 am »
make sure your water tank is covered. my mum in law had to have loads of tests because she had rats in her loft. the insulation will need replacing as its now contaminated. and the people doing it will need protective clothing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS