Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good luck emails?  (Read 4636 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Good luck emails?
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:23:08 pm »
I have just received one of those 'life-affirming' emails, at the end of which I am urged to pass this letter on to all of my friends.  If I do so I shall enjoy good luck; the more friends I send it to, the more good luck I will enjoy.  Nothing wrong with that, perhaps, except that this one, as some do, threatens me with bad luck if I do not pass it on. 

This is my response.

Dear Friend

Thanks for the nice thoughts and I unreservedly send them back to you.

But please do not ever again send me anything with a threat of bad luck in it.  I really do not like the feeling of having to decide whether I am prepared to make any of my friends feel like I do right now. I never am prepared to do that, so I have to absorb the risk of the bad luck myself. 

I once had a handwritten chain letter with this sort of a threat in it and would not pass that on to my friends.  I was so upset I contacted the police, who were sympathetic but not prepared to do anything.  That year I sprained my ankle badly and it's never been completely right since.  And my 10-year old bitch developed an aggressive cancer in her leg which resulted in her being put to sleep.

I know you would have thought only nice thoughts as you sent this on to me and I apologise for any bad feeling my response has caused.  I wish you all the good luck in the world for the next week, month, year and the rest of your life!

My very best wishes
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Good luck emails?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »
Sally,
I received an email from a friend recently wishing me good luck and urging me to pass on to 4 other friends.  Apparently when the 4 friends respond you then get your good luck.  I don't think there was any mention of bad luck but nonetheless I haven't passed it on.  I have a real aversion to chain letters/emails.

Well done to you for responding in the way that you did.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:40:59 pm »
sally (s)
your too polite, i would tell em to luck off!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:49:50 pm »
Proper friends wouldn't even send these emails!  I spot them and don't even read them - just delete!!  Then I don't know what has been promised or threatened  ;)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »
If they are the "your wish will come true if you forward" type, then one could "wish" for something horrible then delete. Ha!

I hope your response is enough to make the sender stop and think - too many people just pass it on without really thinking about it.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 04:28:36 pm »
and this is national friendship week              if it were not for bad luck there would be no luck at all :o :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »
I just delete them - always have and I'm one of the most fortunate people in the world, IMHO  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 05:17:16 pm »
I do read them, but don't think I could have had much worse bad luck than losing two husbands so just delete them! ::)  All they do is clog up the Internet and it will eventually grind to a halt!  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 05:25:54 pm »
I used to get so upset about these emails that I sent replies similar to yours - some folk got upset that I thought they intended what they had sent me ::) and some were too scared not to forward it - that about says it all really :(

I now just delete them and if someone keeps sending then I do a similar reply but if they don't like it I just block them as a sender cos frankly life is way too short to have friends like that ::)

I also don't like cute photos of puppies or chimps or sunsets, angels or wise quotes of the day ::)  Sadly it seems most of the people I know think these are wonderful ways of keeping in touch without actually making any personal contact whatsoever - hence I have few real friends by my reckoning but better that than joining them in the rounds of rubbish forwarding ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »
oops, I think I forwarded some cute photos to you once, Ellie - my apologies! ::) :-[  Won't do it again, promise! :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:20:00 pm »
Good reply Sally.
Yes, not nice to have been threatened with bad luck, especially when some serious bad luck seems to have come your way after the last one  :-*
I just delete them too - maybe that's my mistake....... ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:24 pm »
Glad you all delete them - I do too and it's my silly sister that sends them (I do love her but...) I don't like the idea of pressuring someone else to post this rubbish on - and I am stupidly superstitious so I don't like it
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 08:52:48 am »
Forward to ten friends they say. I haven't got ten friends :o Anyone worried about not sending these ridiculous things on, send them to me and I'll delete them. (lookfar@blueyonder.co.uk)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS