Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cheap Pork??  (Read 12185 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Cheap Pork??
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »
i know someone that sounds identical    :o :o

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:57:32 am »
Unfortunately it does go on, it just shows how desparate things are getting, my orders are down this Xmas, normally i sell four or five pigs worth of meat no bother, this time its down to 3. and half of one of those was a swop for straw.
Mandy  :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:14 am »
It might be HappyHippy's missing pig :o
karen, how did u get on with getting reimbursed. just wondering cos when our sheep went missing, we were newbies and we acceptance the first offer of compensation without thinking, but if a mature tammie got lost would they value that as a rare breed or compare it to a hybrid baconer?
Oh, I got my pound of flesh  :thumbsup: :D :D :D
Their first offer was £200 (she weighed in excess of 250Kg) I laughed and told them I wanted £1200  :o
Funnilly enough it all went quiet  ::) but after a strongly worded letter (I was on crutches, so unable to fight face to face) we settled on a fair amount - well, they didn't think it fair but hopefully it'll have taught them to be more carefull in future. I do think if it had been a few years ago I probably wouldn't have fought so hard, but I know more now than I did then.
The good news that came from it though is that the abattoir I normally use for my porkers have been so appalled by the whole thing that they say they are going to start doing bigger pigs. Every cloud and all that  ;)

princesspiggy

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
thats gud karen. knowledge makes u stronger!

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:23:51 pm »
this happens more than it should.
i know of some one in oxon doing the same, free bakery waste, parks a trailer up and swaps it every few days.
pigs grow well on it but not sure of the legalities of it..
rare breed pedigree pork is in a different league, we'd never entertain trying to supply that cheap, we couldn't... so if its cheap rubbish you want...good luck.
if you want free range pedigree then you pay premium for a premium product.

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 08:40:02 pm »
windymiller    nobody can supply that cheap unless it is stollen :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:20:11 pm »
mmmm there's a lot that goes on, I was offered a 'man to come in the night' :o

No thanks, I'd rather do it right :pig:

princesspiggy

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:23 pm »
i know someone that sounds identical    :o :o

and its rare breed pork. apparently costs £10 per pig to finish as all bakery stuff is free. not free range tho - barn raised and finished.

personally id rather buy good quality feed, surely a balanced diet would make the meat taste better and make the pigs feel better. who hasnt felt crap after eating too much junk food?

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:58:14 pm »
windymiller    nobody can supply that cheap unless it is stollen :farmer:
well weaners at hereford were apparently making 75£ a pop, so i recon your right. that said where do they get them from, there must be a few pigs missing but not heard owt???
most likely foreign muck rebadged.

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:06 pm »
mmmm there's a lot that goes on, I was offered a 'man to come in the night' :o

No thanks, I'd rather do it right :pig:
I'm with you on that  :thumbsup: IMHO you can either do it cheap or do it right. Because although you can make savings - it's not cheap keeing pigs properly. By that i mean with good herd health planning & management, feeding, vaccinations, BPA membership etc etc etc !

and its rare breed pork. apparently costs £10 per pig to finish as all bakery stuff is free. not free range tho - barn raised and finished.

personally id rather buy good quality feed, surely a balanced diet would make the meat taste better and make the pigs feel better. who hasnt felt crap after eating too much junk food?

See - rare breed pork says to me cross breed (cos if it was pedigree the breed would be named) so you've maybe got 1/4 tamworth, 3/4 commercial breed getting raised inside and fed on what is effectively junk food  :-\ To be honest I'd rather buy proper commercial stuff if that were the case as at least you know the pigs are getting proper feeding for healthy pigs. Also, if the breeder/rearer is scrimping on feed costs - what else are they scrimping on  ???
I think when you're raising small numbers of pedigree animals in an outdoor environment - your biggest selling point is YOU. Let people see how you raise your pigs when they come to buy pork, educate them about the way commercial stuff is produced (without downing the commercial guys - it's not their fault they have to do it that way to make a living) and let the quality of the product speak for itself  ;)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 08:00:15 am »
Surely bakery waste is illegal, since it contains animal products, presumably thats why they collect it in laybys in the middle of the night!

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 08:21:11 am »
I'm sure there would be times when bakery waste might be a legal foodstuff (if it was coming from a factory which exclusively made bread or dounuts maybe ?) but it's hardly nutritional & feeding them the best there is  ::) Horses for courses, but it wouldn't be my way of doing things.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 08:33:14 am »
I haven't researched bakery waste but I would have thought it is perfectly possible to get a license to use bakery waste for pigs.  You would presumeably need some authorisation that the bakery's processes give no risk of contamination by animal products - if they just make bread products that would be ok, I would have thought. 

I had a friend in Exmoor who reared rare breed pork for his local butcher.  Yes some of them were crosses, but the boar was a Saddleback and so were some of the sows, and some were OSB or OSB crosses - all the breeds in the crosses were rare breed, just like my own OSB x Saddlebacks.  He had an arrangement with his local, very large Sainsburys, whereby he collected unsold food twice a week.  The manager was very supportive of the food going to be used rather than going to landfill (and I am sure got a regular supply of top-quality rare breed pork!), so was happy to instruct all his staff about handling any food that had any meat in it differently.  They stacked all the unsold bread, cakes (but not sandwiches or pies), fruit, veg, even flowers, in one area of the yard and everything else the other side.  The latter went to landfill, my friend picked up a trailer-full twice a week from the other.  Often there was so much he couldn't take it all, so then he'd pick through and take the stuff they'd like the most and would be best for them and the supermarket would send the remainder to landfill.

We'd sort the potatoes and parsnips out for boiling, the bread one way, any onions, leeks etc, and some of the citrus fruit if there was a lot, went onto the compost heap (and the Muscovies picked through that), and the rest would be used up as you came to it.

Twice a day every adult pig and each batch of growers got a crate with a portion of boiled spuds and parsnips, a couple of loaves of bread or equivalent, a bunch of bananas and a variety of other fruit & veg.  He fed some pellets to lactating sows and their piglets, and to finishers, but other than that all the feed came from the supermarket waste. 

He had the process off to a T and had a regular outlet for his Saddleback X rare breed pork.

I can't have the number of pigs he did, we haven't suitable ground, and I haven't managed to find a small supermarket or veg shop who doesn't already have an outlet for their waste (or can't store it so can't hold it for me to collect  :() but I live in hope of being able to feed my pigs a more varied and exciting diet!

These pigs were so used to a huge variety in their feed, I once had a couple of them pretty much say, "What, mangoes again?  We had mangoes this morning and yesterday - haven't you got anything different?"  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:30 am »
sally you have made a very pertinent point in your contribution
if you read the bpa information on pigs you can only call a saddelback    or any breed of pig    a saddelback if it has the papers to prove it is what you claim it to be  no ifs buts or maybes          so unless your friend had them pedigreed registered and in his name they are only classed as a pig        the suppermarkets tried this shite with  gos and they were beaten           THEY MAY LOOK LIKE A SADDELBACK OR WHATEVER BREED  THEY CARE TO NAME    WITHOUT THE PAPER WORK THEY ARE JUST A PIG AND MOST CERTAINLY NOT RARE BREED :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 09:12:53 am »
Bakery wate can be perfectly legal, several hoops to go through, and HACCP to comply with.  However as HH says not really a balanced diet, but can be used to maintain sows.

A lot of bread waste from Tesco stores (bread and cakes they don't sell) gets unwarpped instore by night staff, and sent back to Cheshunt in the delivery lorries, where it is then sold on bulk.  Tesco bakeries (or more accurately heateries) - in fact I think all instore bakeries-  don't handle meat.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS