Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: confused and cross!  (Read 11891 times)

princesspiggy

confused and cross!
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:20 am »
im just wondering if there is a butchers etiquette i didnt know about. wev had our pigs booked in with butcher since they have been born. we had 3 lengthy conversations about them and the meat, the butchers knew the fact that they were "owned" buy different families. discussed the option of vacuum wrapping etc so i could post next day delivery if i wanted to.
now this particluar butcher (whom i have used before for lambs, and a friend uses for beef - which he sells on) doesnt have a website and doesnt promote rare breeds so im not in direct competition as such.

now the day before they are due to be cut up, he has decided he doesnt want to do it as im operating as a business??!!

we are using 2 butchers for 4 pigs, as only one is happy to cure them. so maybe it was that that upset him?
i have been open, my customers knew which butcher i was using as i was proud to use a good clean butchers (unlike my friend who is getting a "cheap" pig from someone else which is getting cut up by someone "dodgy and dirty" who is def a business as he has over 80 pigs and sells direct to butchers also.

was i suppose to hide the fact that i am selling the pigs? i didnt want a dodgy business with secrets to hide!
im a bit confused now so advice please??!!

robert waddell

Re: confused and cross!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:54 am »
this highlights the problems encountered with third and even fourth parties being involved
there are very few butchers and slaughter houses that are honest and will cater for the small scale producer to stay within the law          one or two pigs yes but once you get a bit bigger you are seen as a threat
also the distance to travel to get big pigs slaughtered as you have highlighted the heaviest that they take is 120 kilos   if you want to kill heavier you have to go to st Andrews   that is the best part of a day travelling and you have to do that twice
it is a great idea rearing pigs for others BUT THIS HIGHLIGHTS THE PROBLEMS THAT CAN AND IS ENCOUNTERED AND IS NOT FACTORED IN AND YOU HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO RECTIFY :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:17:47 am »
the pigs were 85 kg liveweight and i took the to abattoir, paid the killing, paid travel to butchers and butchers cutting costs. i want to stay legal so meat is being delivered straight from butchers as opposed to selling from my freezer, and sold 1/2 pig at at time

quote author=robert waddell link=topic=19872.msg186263#msg186263 date=1322561334]
it is a great idea rearing pigs for others BUT THIS HIGHLIGHTS THE PROBLEMS THAT CAN AND IS ENCOUNTERED AND IS NOT FACTORED IN AND YOU HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO RECTIFY :farmer:
[/quote]

what does that mean robert?
did i do something wrong - i do manage to upset people without meaning to  :-[

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:33 am »
i don't think you have done anything wrong    you cant be accountable for somebodies strops but you have to try and sort it out that is what i am referring to :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »
iv bin to see the other butcher and he was soo friendly, soo helpful and soo nice! he also charges twice the price but id rather pay that and not be roared at!
this strike this is putting spanner in the works tho. i thought i was the public sector so not sure how that affects a private abattoir?
thanx robert x  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:20:04 pm »
iv bin to see the other butcher and he was soo friendly, soo helpful and soo nice! he also charges twice the price but id rather pay that and not be roared at!
this strike this is putting spanner in the works tho. i thought i was the public sector so not sure how that affects a private abattoir?
thanx robert x  :wave:

PP, It is amazing that some people stay in business.  Butchers do split into two groups.  Group 1 - see you as a threat, not realising that your customers do not buy from him, but from Sainsburys until you educate them that homebred is best.  Butchers in group 2 realise that your customers are not currently theirs, and if they do a good job, your pork customers may buy their beef and lamb, as well as them performing a paid service that otherwise they would miss.

Luckily we have a good butcher here that we have used for years.

Private abattoirs have to have the State Veterinary Service and Meat Hygiene Service on site, both public sector, and if they strike the abattoir closes.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:36:40 pm »
I can't really help much (other than recommend the Aberdeen butcher on the SPKA website  ;)) but I echo Oaklands post - there are just some awkward/cantankerous/downright rude folks about.
If he's still got your pigs I'd be asking him to forward them to the other butcher (or ask the other butcher to collect) and tell him that you're dissapointed to say the least.
Finding a good butcher & getting that relationship which benefits both and is based on trust is hard, but once you get it, it's great.
Hope you get it sorted soon  :-*

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:33:14 pm »
thanx guys, got it sorted now but was so proud of the pigs yesterday sending them away and was then so pooped off with the butchers negetive attitude. i wouldnt mind but theyd bin booked in for months.

the other butcher was so helpful and is happy for me to bring as many as i want so fingers crossed all will be well. he is more expensive and further way  but sometimes trying to support local businesses slaps u in the face. in my mind choosing a good professional butcher is an asset to my business so im happy to let people know that i use them. i certainly not trying to get a cheap deal then pass it off as my own work which is maybe wot the other butcher thought. i dont know.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »
Princesspiggy, I have encountered the same problems I booked my 4 SB's in well in advance for Christmas then the day he gets them we talk on the telephone and I tell him what I wanted I got the "oh well there are a lot of different items wanted etc.. I told him the fact of the matter is I booked these pigs in with him well in advance and his work load was not my problem, they will try it on every which way I find were I live it feel it is because I am a woman, another butcher I used said to me that he would have to re asses the price for the butchering bearing in mind he had 5 of my pigs, I did persuade him to stick to the normal price then on collection he said it again I told him that should the price of his butchering go up he will not be having any butchering business from me as I can get it cheaper elsewhere he was a bit gob smacked that I has said that to him.  Be very aware, they think they are doing you a favour never mind that you are paying for the service. :pig:

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:27:06 pm »
precisely, thats what he said - it was a favour. the way i see it, ur asking for a professional service and are paying the fee that they ask. if they dont want to do it, they dont book u in.

iv got a freezer full of heads, trotters, lights, livers, hearts and tongues tonight for the first time. the dogs bellies are full and im gona have to find some good recipes, never cooked those before - bar liver. the only thing we didnt get back was the blood...next time i hope. i did take a bit of perserverance to get it all but i dont mind annoying people ...lol

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »
iv got a freezer full of heads, trotters, lights, livers, hearts and tongues tonight for the first time. the dogs bellies are full and im gona have to find some good recipes, never cooked those before - bar liver.

same here - please share the best recipes! :)
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »
PP at the abattoir I use you've got to wait (with a food grade, lidded container) on the day of slaughter to get the blood back.

I'll check my wee pork receipe book for offal dishes & let you know if there are any  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »
PP at the abattoir I use you've got to wait (with a food grade, lidded container) on the day of slaughter to get the blood

how much blood do u get? 
thanx

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 08:49:07 am »
From two saddlebacks I got five litres. Much more than enough unless you have long queue of black pudding customers!

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 09:02:35 am »
One point that has not arisen in this discussion and which may have influenced PP's first butcher is that meat that is being resold (rather than just for your personal use) has, by law, to be butchered in a licensed cutting plant under veterinary and MHS supervision. Now this law is largely ignored but butchers are aware that any Trading Standards Officer has the power to prosecute should he choose to do so.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS