Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand, Body creams & Soaps  (Read 2323 times)

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Hand, Body creams & Soaps
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:40:30 pm »
Are there any laws about selling hand creams, body creams and soaps at craft markets ... do they have to be tested or can you just list the ingredients???
Thanks ;D
Red

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Hand, Body creams & Soaps
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:05:18 pm »
The best person to ask is Plumseverywhere she has a very succesful soap business and I'm sure will help you

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:58 pm »
Hello Red

In short, Yes.  You will need a cosmetic assessor to pass your recipes  - I use Scott Grainger and he has issued my business with each of our separate assessments (ie. one for cold process soap, one for bath bombs, one for lip balms...) Its not cheap but its worth it!
You need to know that the recipes you are using are safe for people to use, Scott will certify that they are.
On top of this, the labelling on each item has to contain full ingredients including colours and allergens. The ingredients cannot just be listed as eg.goats milk, olive oil etc they have to be in their saponfied state so 'sodium olivate...eg)
Then...there's public indemnity insurance - about £80 a year. I use a craft insurer I W Wallace, many handmade soap companies do . THe majority of craft fairs (the good ones!) will want to see proof that you are insured when you book a stall.
I think that's covered most of it! PM me if I've missed 'owt  ;)  I don't get on here as much as I'd like at the moment as its silly season for soap makers and I'm working 20 hour days again to meet orders LOL.

PS thank you for your kind words EllisR! xxx

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
Hi Plumseverywhere - what a great name!
Thanks for the advice, this forum is great for finding out much needed info! Just looking at ideas to make money from the small holding and I love crafts.

Good luck with the soap orders!

Red x
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS