Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on type of crochet hook  (Read 2684 times)

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
advice on type of crochet hook
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:43:17 pm »
Hi - I have arthritis and knit slowly but have thought about doing some crochet work - just simple items - hats, scarf and the like.  What hooks do you recommend - wood, plastic, bamboo - and any pattern recommendations please.  I have loads of balls of wool so no expense other than the pattern plus postage to France.  I prefer to work with chunky and handspun wools.  Thanks Jan

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: advice on type of crochet hook
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »
I use the metal tipped hooks with the comfy thick handles, but I dont use wool just cotton to do lace crochet so anything over a 2 hook and I feel I am crocheting with pokers. There is a crochet where you use a thick knitting needle and crochet on and off that ( cant remember the name of it off hand) but maybe good for you with arthritis. It is used for very lacy scarves, blankets etc. I use a website called crochet pattern central, it is a collection of private patterns and ones from other websites and contains small items to clothing and larger. Good luck I can hardly put my hook down and you will soon be addicted as well.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:23:36 pm »
ps I learnt to crochet off u tube!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »
Hermit, were you thinking of Tunisian crochet?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »
I prefer the metal hooks and I like big ones and thicker yarn.   

ps I learnt to crochet off u tube!

I've had a go at Tunisian crochet too, using a broom handle as the thick knitting needle and some very chunky yarn.  Thanks for the reminder.  I must have another go at it.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:11:44 pm »
Broomstick lace is what I remember it being called, thats it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:14 pm »
That could explain why I used the broom handle.   :D  Just realised I inserted the wrong quote.  So much for my promise to self to proof read all my posts.  Think it lasted a couple of hours.   :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS