Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: High Winds  (Read 10370 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
High Winds
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:38:40 am »
I know Scotland has been affected, but the high winds seemed to have blown across the border and arrived here overnight.  Our caravan is perched on one of the highest hillsides in Derbyshire - in fact its the highest.  Very scenic in normal circumstances, but I have been up most of the night with my bad cough, and feeling the caravan sway rather alarmingly ......if it moves across the hardstanding, there is just a fence and then an almighty drop down a field into a wood :)

I don't know whether its just me, but in recent times the high winds seem to be more regular here - a lot stronger and destructive than they used to be. I do worry about stable roofs, hen huts, goat sheds, etc. when its like this.

Stay safe everyone, and hope the storms have not affected you or your property.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: High Winds
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:48 am »
Reported 82mph at Wick airport...both doors have blown off the polytunnel and ripped the surrounding plastic but all livestock is tucked up warm and cosy. Not sure if poor 'Mrs Fluffy' our pekin bantam will cope with the winds tho  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:35:58 am »
Been awake a lot of the night, just with the noise. This morning, gates blown open, anything not nailed down all over the yard but the beck's dropped and everything seems ok, no roofs off.

Thank goodness the landlady for next door, knowing the Environmental Health officer is coming round on Tues, finally got some men to sort out the broken tree in their front garden, cos the two branches that were hanging by barely more than the bark from the last storm would have come down for sure  :o

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:20:53 am »
Windy with us this morning but suppose to die down so far no damage.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:36:44 am »
Howling round here all night, blown a few things over in the garden, but probably not that strong.
Just not used to the noises made by this particular house!

Mind you, I'll be passing lots of nice old trees later today  :-\

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 11:53:57 am »
I think given our general weather anything that could blow away here did so a long time ago....even the goosie ark is staked down by 4 angle irons.....Im glad Im not the only one who doesnt get much sleep in this weather, thought I was the only one as OH snores right through it!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »
Sorry folks, but I didn't hear a thing last night. :-[  It was VERY blowy yesterday at Bo'ness when we were on the Santa steam train for my son-in-law's 40th birthday bash.  The train was swaying a little, but being below embankments it was protected, and you could see the treetops really blowing about. ::)  What great fun that trip was though, Santa and his helpers leading us in Christmas songs, :carols: presents for all the kids, :hohoho: :santariding: and mince pies back at the station.  Christmas is coming woohoo!!! :merryxmas: :wave:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:31:05 pm »
bah humbug :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 02:04:50 pm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 11:20:14 pm »
bah humbug :farmer:

u make me chuckle  ;D ;D :wave:
Robert makes everyone chuckle - provided you understand his type of humour.  Actually now I think about it we are auditioning for a Santa for the CSSA Christmas Party - see new thread.  He'd be an ideal candidate! ;) ;D  Yay, Robert  :wave:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:51 pm »
no Annie no Santa for me         that is the type of humor you get when you go to the university         the university of life :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 12:13:07 am »
no Annie no Santa for me         that is the type of humor you get when you go to the university         the university of life :farmer:
Somehow, I knew you'd say that!  ;) ;D :wave:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:05:55 pm »
We get some pretty high winds here too - I've literally been picked up and blown off my feet at the top of the cliffs a few times now - quite frightening.

When the Landy is parked up it looks like one of those cars with hydraulic risers bobbing about :)

We are very exposed though living on the end of a headland.

When I first moved here I made the mistake of taking a few asbestos sheets off and fitting plastic ones to let in a bit of light - the next winter they all just got shattered by the winds.

You can tell if its been windy here overnight as everything off the yard normally ends up stuck against the fence in the bottom field by the edge of the sea - I never knew I owned so many buckets, its like a bucket festival down there some days. :)

Its easy to forget how destructive nature can be.  Its particularly bad if its not the prevailing wind.

A shame really as I would like to have my yurts up all years round for winter breaks - but there is no chance with the winds we get - we are about as exposed as you can get.

Stay safe :)

Baz

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:18:48 pm »
We had them bad  up here but Shetland was warned to get things secured as there was going to be damage. The polytunnel survived as it was boarded up but a small boat turned over in the marina. A friend of mine on Fair Isle rang up today and said his chook house blew down the hill full of chickens! Luckily they stopped before the sea and they all were alright physically. It is still blowing but could be worse, at least the forcast snow did not arrive, it must have blown straight over!!!!

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:22:00 am »
feeling the caravan sway rather alarmingly

Here's a picture of my caravan.
The top wind speed recorded in Orkney on Sunday morning was 130mph which is a bit alarming because my windturbine is only rated up to 135mph

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS