Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any other Ryeland owners here please?  (Read 17614 times)

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
Any other Ryeland owners here please?
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:16:44 pm »
Hello
I have just taken delivery of 3 white ryeland ewes which are possibly in lamb, They are three years old but I need to get them registered, does anyone have an idea of cost for increasing my flock as I am unsure of current prices for registered ewes and what I should be paying.  I would love to look at coloureds as well but guess they will be horrendously priced! I should say that i was given these by a friend.

Thanks
Rosey

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Any other Ryeland owners here please?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:22:01 pm »
Hi Rosey

Contact pigsatlesrues, I know Kate has posted here and other forums of her search of Rylands.
Good luck
Carole

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:30:06 pm »
Thanks Carole will ask if she found any.

Rosey

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:10:48 pm »
Hi, Rosey

We've got three coloured Ryeland ewe hoggs that we hope to lamb for the first time in spring 2009. I haven't had confirmation about my flock name yet - the Society wheels grind slowly! My plan is to retain any ewe lambs to increase the flock.

If you have a look on the website of Harrison and Hetherington, auctioneers in Carlisle, they will probably have a sale report for the rare breeds sale they have in September - it was later this year because of FMD (maybe November). There are always many Ryelands there and the report will have prices. Also, if you search our diary on TAS, I put a post on about 18 months ago with sale prices at the September 2006 sale at Carlisle.

The Society also has a sale every year and will no doubt have a sale report showing prices (although it might have been cancelled because of FMD

Hope this helps

PS Aren't Ryelands just the best?

Rosemary

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:49:50 pm »
I haven't got mine yet - Next month I think ready for lambing in March/April - Rosemary is your exoert here and I see she has you sorted.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:03:01 am »
Hello Carole,Kate and Rosemary (my full name is Rosemary)

Thanks for the help, I will look on the Carlisle site, I had not thought of them.  There do not seem to be many Ryeland owners in Lincolnshire.  I agree they are very docile and friendly and seem to be more foot rot resistant than others.  Roy, my farmer friend who I have been learning from for the last year, thought as I am quite short, these would be better than texels ( I think it is because I am female as well although that does not bother him when he wants help!) They are a little older and have lambed before which is useful.  The lambs are not due until after March 20th so I have some time to prepare and as Roy pointed out I only have three and he has three hundred!

On a flavour point, I gave some lamb to various villagers and everyone picked which was the Ryeland as it was sweeter. My mum uses the fleece for spinning so they are perfect for me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:07:26 am by Rosey »

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:18:27 pm »
Take a look on the Ryeland Sheep Website

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:57 pm »
Hi Swav

Yup done it thanks, I am just waiting for lambs to be born and then can also register them as well.  Prices have been very healthy at Newark market this week so hope the price stays as good.  I have been texting Dan (danndans) lots this week as they are all looking ready to lamb but not a lot happening at the moment. 

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 01:23:48 pm »
Two southdowns is the closest i get to rylands!!! well there a bit the same, arent they? :-\
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

ileach

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:12:03 pm »
Hi there I am a newbie on this site but have owned and loved coloured ryelands for the last 4 years, Orginally i got two as a birthday present from hubby and well i now have 9 ewes and 12 lambs born this year,and one or two, all right 6 older boys (if i must be honest) However, this year i have decided some boys will have to go, particullarly as i have more boy lambs than girls. Coloured ryelands are so cute, all black when they are born with white moustaches. I just love watching them play. Their mums will do anything for food so you dont need a dog to herd them (ideal for a smallholder) and i just rattle a bucket to move them from one field to another.
Rosey, if you want to contact other coloured or white ryeland owners in lincolnshire let me know as i have the flock book with all the names and addresses in it of ryelandowners.
Cheers

Davey

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 06:09:17 pm »
Hi

We are thinking about getting into sheep rearing. We have aquired some wiltshire horn sheep to get used to keeping sheep but would realy like some coloured ryelands. We would like some help to get contacts to start a small flock.

Can anyone point us in the right direction.

Dave

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 07:22:20 pm »
Try the Ryeland Flock Book Society - there is a coloured branch of it. Membership is £10 a year, I think and £6 for the Coloured section - gets you access to sheep for sale.

ileach

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:20:24 pm »
Davey Contact number for the coloured ryeland group secretary is Marian Thornett 01597 823013. She always knows who has coloured ryelands for sale and if not she can put an ad in the coloured newsletter for you or if you tell me what area you are in i can give you contact details of your nearest owner and you can phone people direct. Hope this helps

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04:21 pm »
Hi
I breed Ryelands having both white and coloured with stock always  for sale.
I run both flocks totalling over 50, am always happy to help.
Karen
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:12:02 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 08:00:25 pm »
Hi, Karen

Ignore my question on the "Introduce yourself" thread since you've answered it here. What is your flock name?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS