Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raw unpasteurised milk  (Read 12628 times)

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
Re: Raw unpasteurised milk
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »
I was raised on unpasteurised milk and would happily drink it again now. I was delighted to find some for sale at our local farmers market recently, as it gives smaller dairy farmers another outlet for their milk and get a reasonable return by selling direct to consumers.

I did have to make good use of it quickly however as we have got used to the pasteurised stuff lasting forever rather than going sour in a few days!

:)

robert waddell

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 03:01:55 pm »
pheasant farmer how much did it cost per litre and was it the producer that was selling it :farmer:

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »
I get mine through a local cooperative.  It's Guernsey and is brilliant.  The pasteurised, homogenised stuff is filth in comparison.  As with anything like this, hygiene is key.

The hygiene hoops the producers of raw milk have to go through are extraordinary.  You could eat your dinner off the parlour floors in these places.  Pasteurisation, while saving may lives during TB's height, has also allowed for some (and I only say some) farmers to get away with questionable hygiene.  Also, I don't know if this is widely known, but if a farm tests positive for TB, the milk STILL goes into the food chain if it goes to a conventional, pasteurising dairy.  So does the meat from the carcass.  The cow gets destroyed.  For what?  No gain at all as far as I can see.

The sooner we get a vaccine, the better.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »
vss  that is the bacterial counts have to be much lower            anybody know what the levels are both for pasteurising milk and raw milk :farmer:

I used to be the bod that tested the milk samples, but i'm buggered if i can remember what the tolerances were!

I think the abx had to be less that 0,02 ppm, or we rejected the tanker but the bacti count  ??? ??? :D
We used to use raw milk as the positive control on our TVC (total viable count) in the bacti lab, and tested the raw milk samples on the fluorophos machine......
I filled my brain with too much useless trivia in the meantime to remember :D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS