Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raw unpasteurised milk  (Read 12631 times)

robert waddell

Re: Raw unpasteurised milk
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 10:01:10 am »
they have yet to find the medicinal benifits of whiskey iron bru deep fried mars bars a short but happy life
hic phet splash :farmer:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 10:33:17 am »
We have two farms by us who still bottle and deliver their milk.  Both getting on in years now, so when they go, it will probably be supermarket milk for the locals.  I assume its pasteurised nowadays.  We are in a TB area unfortunately, and I know one of these farms has definitely had TB in their herd.  We were on 4 year tests, now its 12 monthly >:(

Our farm was TB free  for the 50 plus years my family have been here .....as were the other farms in the area, untl three years ago when 5 farms including ours suffered losses due to TB.  I was lucky, none of ours were affected, but the farmer we rented land to, lost 6 of his cattle.  Therefore we no longer keep any cows.

Until the TB, us, and our family before us, had quite happily consumed unpasteurised milk.  It used to be taken away in old fashioned milk churns, my granddad left on the milk stage (big flat slabs outside the barn) every day.  That was before the invention of milk tanks.  If I remember rightly, the cows were all hand milked too.

For me, there is nothing like the taste of raw cows milk .....especially Jersey or Geurnsey.  The thrill of being able to skim the cream off the top ......!!!!  I now have our goats milk of course.  The vet advised me to pasteurise the milk to be on the safe side, but I prefer it raw, tastes better. 

If it was not for the fact I was in a TB area, I would definitely drink unpasteurised milk in preference to any other.

As it is now, If I drink cows milk it has to be full fat, the semi and skimmed just taste like water to me, and  I cannot enjoy my cup of tea topped with watery milk :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 10:46:33 am »
Well I am pleased to be corrected and very glad that farmers are now allowed to sell raw milk at farmers' markets and on delivery rounds  :D

I completely agree with the comments about raw fresh milk from a grass-fed Jersey being sumptuous and almost sweet - and varying in character according to many factors including the weather and where on the farm she has been eating.

Interestingly, we skim our milk to make butter, so drink roughly skimmed milk in our tea and coffee.  It still has masses of flavour and isn't thin, weedy, watery and tasteless as so many find shop-bought skimmed and semi-skimmed milk.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 10:57:21 am »
I milk every morning at our neighbour's farm.  A perk of the job is bringing a jug of fresh milk home  :) :) :) :)

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 11:48:19 am »
Well, it's arrived and is lovely in coffee!

Leaving it to settle - I want to skim off the cream, or a least some of it.

Whoops, sorry to hijack thread a bit!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »
Strange that Scotland is TB free, yet we can't sell raw milk. In some parts of England, it's rife and they can.

Yes that has had me stumped for a while... I think we have to wait until Prof Whats-his-name Pennington is too old to be interviewed every single time there is some farm animal disease or Ecoli outbreak or other food scare...

By complete coincidence I read the guardian article and the one thing that came to mind immediately was the TB isssue... I think it was deliberately left out, as TB (and badger cull :o) will set the alarm bells off in the "keen on natural foods" townie brigade....

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »
Is "infected" milk a proven TB transmission route?
Even if it is, I'm satisfied that in a high-hygiene milking system, with regular tests and checks, plus me being in general good health and vaccinated....well the risk is acceptable :)

Have skimmed off the cream, not enough for butter or anything, but YUM!  ;D

The rest is frozen (wonder what critters this will kill, beneficial or otherwise?)

I presume the Scotland/England difference is purely historic?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:22 pm »
Yes.  That's why we've had the ministry carrying out TB tests on cattle for nigh on 80 years - maybe longer.

Even if it is, I'm satisfied that in a high-hygiene milking system, with regular tests and checks, plus me being in general good health and vaccinated....well the risk is acceptable :)
Absolutely.  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 06:48:44 pm »
...again- really interesting and informative comments. Thanks :cow:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 09:34:28 pm »
Yes.  That's why we've had the ministry carrying out TB tests on cattle for nigh on 80 years - maybe longer.

Absolutely.  :)

Infection with TB was one of the main reasons for pasteurising milk in the first instance - and it surely did save a lot of lives over the decades... However we have our (goats)milk unpasteurised here, and hopefully long may it continue....

I personally think that selling unpasteurised milk through a shop is making the chain just a bit too long - on the one dairy farm left nearby the milk tanker only comes once a week to collect!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:07 pm »
Is there a Berwick-based smuggling ring...?  ;D ::)
I am only a few miles over the border from Berwick and am always looking for an alternative income
Anne

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »
I personally think that selling unpasteurised milk through a shop is making the chain just a bit too long - on the one dairy farm left nearby the milk tanker only comes once a week to collect!

I wouldn't want to see milk from several farms be collected, pooled and then get bottled and sold raw in shops, no.  But I would like to see an individual farm allowed to bottle their own raw milk and retail it through their local village store(s) and rural mini-mart(s)

I think that those farms which sell raw milk actually have a much higher hygiene standard than their pasteurising neighbours.  So if ever there came along a bug that wasn't killed by pasteurisation (which some viruses would not be), those of us drinking raw milk would be less likely to cop a dose than the people drinking the treated stuff.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 10:13:39 pm »
However we have our (goats)milk unpasteurised here, and hopefully long may it continue....
Apart from the well publicised 2008 outbreak of TB in Golden Guernsey goats there have only been very few cases of TB in goats in the UK. In addition to that outbreak there have been 4 cases in the last 5 years and only another 4 cases in the last 30+ years. It would seem that the risk of acquiring TB from unpasteurised goat's milk is very small, although not impossible.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »
However we have our (goats)milk unpasteurised here, and hopefully long may it continue....
Apart from the well publicised 2008 outbreak of TB in Golden Guernsey goats there have only been very few cases of TB in goats in the UK. In addition to that outbreak there have been 4 cases in the last 5 years and only another 4 cases in the last 30+ years. It would seem that the risk of acquiring TB from unpasteurised goat's milk is very small, although not impossible.

I have two GG milkers... the whole story of bTB in goats is not resolved yet, as so far it is not sure if it was just bad luck that only GG got it, or if there is a breed specific threat. However isolated cases of bTB have been found in both sheep and pigs...

Fortunatley we are also in Scotland, so no bTB on neighbouring farms...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 02:13:28 pm »
I have two GG milkers... the whole story of bTB in goats is not resolved yet, as so far it is not sure if it was just bad luck that only GG got it, or if there is a breed specific threat. However isolated cases of bTB have been found in both sheep and pigs...

Fortunatley we are also in Scotland, so no bTB on neighbouring farms...

Ah, but isn't there...? 

We all know that there are, as you say, isolated cases of TB in dogs, deer, sheep and goats, rather more in cats, pigs and alpacas.  And none of these animals is routinely tested for TB, and they all move freely between parishes and across borders.

I maybe should start another thread on this, but can't bring myself to even write the subject line.  It is one of the very few things that keeps me awake at nights.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS