Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Multitool  (Read 2811 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Multitool
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:08 am »
Hi All,

To my utter despair I've managed to lose my Multitool  :'(    It fell out the back of the little toolbox on the back of my Quad and I didn't notice till the following day.    Went back (had been to check sheep about mile away) but despite searching back and forth,couldn't find it.  :'( :'( :'(

So, am now researching other multitools and although I loved the one I lost (if you can actually 'love' a piece of kit) the wire cutter part on it was rubbish.   So am hoping to find one that has something of a tougher wire snip/cutter.   Can anyone recommend one that works please?    All the research seems to suggest the wire cutter part is only for electrical wiring  :(.....but someone out there may know different  ;D ;D

Any help much appreciated - especially as Nadolig is just around the corner.

Diolch yn fawr

:thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Multitool
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:07:00 am »
I love my little pocket knife, so I can sympathise. Hope you manage to find a replacement   :)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: Multitool
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:28:59 pm »
Nothing worse than loosing a good tool so you have my sympathy as I know how frustrating it is. Being a mechanic for a living, hand tools are a way of life and there are a few sayings; "Lender nor borrower be". and a favorite that was posted on the wall of my uncles garage/repair workshop; "The man who has time to talk and lend tools is out". Unfortunately you have lost yours.
My advice is that you get what you pay for, and what you are paying for is the quality of the steel, not the brand name. The only people that can make decent knife steel are the Japanese. The Yanks are good at branding stuff and the Germans/Europeans can when they try, but only the Japanese roll, press and roll the knife steel enough times to get the quality. ( I know plenty will shoot me down on this but I stand by this statement, a Sheffield Steel knife maker explained it to me ).
Kershaw knifes are a U.S. brand but the steel is Japanese. I use a three and half inch Kershaw locknife with an eye to tie it to my person. Paid nearly £30.00 for it 15 year ago. I had a couple of Kershaws, before but they "walked".
Have a Leatherman, it has the pliers, a good sharp blade but it does not lock out, and a couple of tools but I find it cumbersome, I do not care much for 'multi-tools'.
A quality pen knife will start around £50.00. Have a look on a Snap On Tool van and see what you can buy for £50, very little.
My tool box is not all Snap On, but certain tools are, screw drivers, spanners, certain sockets. And other quality brands. The point is that you get to know the feel and weight of an object to know if there is enough steel in its manufacture.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS