Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oil Central Heating question  (Read 18624 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Oil Central Heating question
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:33:13 pm »
We have an oil fired boiler for our central heating and water and use a oil fired aga for cooking and as a radiator in the kitchen.

The boiler is close to 20 years so not very efficient, the aga is slightly older and converted to oil from solid fuel. Obviously both use a lot of oil... approx £200 - £250 per month in total. Can anyone tell me or have an opinion on what sort of improvement we may expect by changing to a new more efficient boiler and aga please??

Property is a 4 bedroomed Farmhouse built around 1850

Thanks in advance
Metal Detectorist

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Oil Central Heating question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:37:41 pm »
I can't give you precise figures for your situation, but when I built my house in 2005 I put in underfloor heating, with a modern efficient boiler and timings set to suit my lifestyle (at home all day) - then the price of oil doubled practically overnight.  When I left to move down here I was paying £150 a month for a well insulated bungalow with 4 double bedrooms, lounge, dining room, and family room with large bathroom and two ensuites.

Hope that helps
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:42 pm »

I can't really coment on the comparative costs but I can sympathise as our central heating boiler is also oil-fired. What I can say is that our price per litre has gone up substantially in the last couple of years.

I'm sure a lot of people don't realise the difficulties that those of us that are 'off the grid' face with regard to supplies of oil or gas, and lack of choice of supplier. The oil companies in particular appear to operate a pricing cartel, and if you dig deep enough you'll find that most of them are owned by the same people.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:14:28 am »
We built our house in 2006 and installed a normal radiator heating system, albeit with a 95% efficient Grant condensing boiler, oil (kerosene) fired. Hot water from that system too. I was not allowed an AGA :(...., so we use bottled gas for cooking/electric oven. Our annual oil usage is at about 1500ltrs, but that needs to be taken in the context of modern insulation, double glazing and multifuel stove in the main living/kitchen area. So far central heating has not been switched on this winter.

A new boiler would decrease your oil usage somewhat, but maybe you could also look into grants for insulation, installing woodburning stove etc.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:20:07 am »
My house is 5 bedroom, and old....around 1620.   New boiler 2 1/2 years ago when we moved in.

Oil fired central heating and hot water, so not sure how much more your aga would take to run, but my DDR to the oil people is £150 and that just about covers the use over the year.

So I would think a newer boiler should bring down your oil usage.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:35:47 pm »
We put in a new boiler 2 years ago, and took out the existing Stanley range which we did not replace. The boiler was a expensive combi boiler one, which kicks in whenever it needs to heat more water. Our Oil bill went down by 2/3rds. The range used a HUGE amount of oil. 3 and a 1/2 bedroom bungalow- with some old bits and some new bits to the house.

Beth

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:30:36 pm »
Get an A rated boiler, it is worth doing asap - you will start to re-coup immediately and insulate your house to the hilt including external walls (use Kingspan for insulated backed plasterboard - expensive but great), it will help keep the heat in your house, do the ususal roof insulation etc, look at replacing seals on doors and windows, and switch off the aga in the summer and find an alternative method of cooking.  Paying up front for  'alternative' heating systems takes a long time to recoup and most methods aren't worth going for unless you have a new build, we've just spent months doing the research.  Keep your oil, just be sparing, but get that new boiler. ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »
Central Heating?? What's that all about then?  We've got one log burner and two open fires for a five bed farmhouse.  Luckily bumped into the forestry guy at the right time and got a few year's worth of wood at a steal.

But I do sympathise - we used to have oil Aga and boiler and it cost a fortune.  I'm afraid I can't help other to echo the insulation comments.  My next project is getting an Aga running on used engine oil...

The other idea if you have the time to tend it is to convert your Aga back to solid fuel.  I believe it's the cheapest way to run them now oil has gone up.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »
good luck with the used engine oil you will need it :farmer:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:42:39 pm »
You can't convert oil Agas to solid fuel as far as I am aware - best to use it as economically as poss - by that I mean dry your clothes on it and don't use a tumble drier, don't use a toaster every breakfast or boil a kettle 3 or 4 times a day making cups of tea - all of which are heat producing and expensive to do, you should be able to break even.  Agas also keep everybody happy in the one room, and the pets love it too (and newborn lambs if you have any).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 12:03:12 am »
good luck with the used engine oil you will need it :farmer:

Ha! Yes I think so.  Do you have any tips?

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 11:08:55 am »
yes don't use it
you have to filter it through a series of filters    down to 3 microns then the viscosity of the oil is wrong so you have to heat and mix with other fuels  then change the nozzle on your burner which will never run clean
as i said before good luck :farmer:

audianne

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 03:31:24 pm »
Has anyone ever considered purchasing solar panels or heat pumps to use for central heating? There definitely seems to be some sort of renewable energy bandwagon going around and I was wondering whether I was missing out. A family friend of ours suggested I check out this website: http://www.intelligentenergysolutions.com/heat-pumps---air-source_c124.aspx but I'm not too sure what to think, it's all quite pricey.

Any opinions welcome.

Anne

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 03:44:22 pm »
ground/air source heat pumps can be good for central heating if used for underfloor heating as the constant warm rather requirement is well matched (rather than periodic requirements for very hot water, which solar/conventional sources might be better suited to). But obviously would only make sense if undertaking a renovation or new build because of the big job that fitting the UFH and ground heat pump would be.

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 11:48:55 am »
Just paid 80p per litre to top up the tank - up 30% since last year?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS