Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: late fly strike  (Read 4453 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
late fly strike
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:27 pm »
Good evening everyone, i have yet another question to add to the long list. Down here in kent we have been experiencing some very warm weather of late, shirt sleeves in november! combine that with the humidity and drizzle, do i need to be worried about fly strike this late in the year? Temp in double figures at night too! Am i being paranoid? Thanks all

robert waddell

Re: late fly strike
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:44:04 pm »
try lucky :farmer:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:31:48 pm »
Ah, jealousy can be a terrible thing! ;D

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »
Having seen a rabbit (not mine) with flystrike in Yorkshire within the last few days I don't think you are being paranoid in your concern with regards to flystrike.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:12 am »
I don't either. With the climate being the way it is, I think "seasons" for particular problems are out the window and we have to be vigilant virtually all year.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:27 am »
There are still blowflies etc around here in north Wales, although they're not very active.  I would keep a close eye out if I were you.  Its probably warmer where you are so you might get caught out.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:24 am »
I cooked some fish for my dog, and put it outside to cool and was horrifed with the number of nasty blowflies which had congregated within half and hour and started laying eggs. 

I did get my sheep treated about 5 weeks ago, and as they are Wiltshire Horn are hopefully safe.  The weather here is mild for November, but certainly jumper/coat so I was very surprised by the flies.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »
Please see my post of the 21st of October when I lost a ewe lamb to flystrike.
Personally I'd keep a very close eye on things, without wishing to be over dramatic
it's not something I want my sheep or me to go through again !!
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 02:26:26 pm »
suddenly we have flies everywhere - in the garden, every bit of hen or duck poo is covered - wonder why now?

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »
Thanks one and all for the replies (even you robert!) :D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:21:03 am »
Our neighbour lost a tup to flystrike last night, I had to help her lift it into her car. pitch black night and peeing with rain, lovely job..........

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 11:01:13 pm »
Hi ya
im in kent too,  and I had to keep a very close eye, my clik treatment ran out at the end of October but the lower night tempretures in our area i think kept the flys at bay, but I was concerned too, so no your not paranoid.
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 11:14:25 am »
Lillian saw a bluebottle today    so ever in Scotland with sever night frosts  they are still active :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 01:20:05 am »
Lillian saw a bluebottle today    so ever in Scotland with sever night frosts  they are still active :farmer:

Blimey!  He was in our bathroom last night - he's travelled some distance today!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 01:44:54 pm »
Loads of flies still here on the South coast.  Neighbours still reporting bad fly strike with several lost lambs.  I thought that Crovect would last until now but two of our lambs were caught last month. Luckily we spotted it very early on and they are now fine. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS