Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: more knitting  (Read 24700 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: more knitting
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 01:25:55 pm »
New cowl I call Lilac Knots and I now have a website http://cutletcountrycrafts.weebly.com/

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 05:16:14 pm »
Another new knit fabulous with a twist to keep your neck warm

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 05:51:20 pm »
Ooooh, thats very stylish.  I am sure it will be popular
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 11:20:19 am »
Another couple that I knit yesterday with the extreme knitting technique

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 04:08:15 pm »
love these, have just been looking up about extreme knitting, can you suggest a good book to start me off, looking to make scarves and throws really, any info would be great xx

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »
best advice I could give is to get needles and yarn and play. If you have knitted before you would have a good idea of stitches you like and then just run with it. There is on;y one book I have found out there but for the price over £15 I don't think it is really worth the money.
If you start building up in needle size and yarn number 14mm/2 or 3 chunky yarns and just go from there. The projects are very quick and you should get the hang of it really quickly.

I have just done a kingsize blanket on 24mm x 112cm it took me a week to knit (nights only). It was a custom order so I don't have photos unfortunately.

My next project is a simple knitted coat which I may line with a fleece material

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 06:16:43 pm »
thanks for your reply, think i have seen the book you mention on ebay and had wondered if it was any good and worth the money, I have only the basic knitting skills but love knitting with chunky, did manage to knit myself a jumper once with very chunky yarn and it grew so quickly:)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 06:20:47 pm »
extreme knitting grows at 3 times the rate of super chunky and if you start with just a knit stitch you will be able to make rugs and blankets in no time. The needles are not the cheapest I have just paid over £30 for a pair but you can get smaller ones to start with. My only advice is if doing larger project sit close to the floor on a pouffe or something as it gets heavy very quickly.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 10:49:54 pm »
Managed to buy some 25mm needles in a shop in Poole, Dorset.  They were £7.99 and are plastic.  Looking forward to starting with them but have to finish the scarf my daughter 'started' and knit another one first.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2011, 10:54:05 pm »
Plastic is not the best with such a big size but if you rub them in your hair between rows they should flow better. I know I harp on about wood or bamboo needles but the reason is they are just a better needle and don't stress your hands and chest so much, remember if you are doing a big project with big needles it is going to get heavy quickly so sit close to floor to help with the weight or you will feel your chest muscles the next day ( I know through experience)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2011, 09:58:05 am »
Ellisr,
I love the sound of the knitted coat. Do you have a pattern or do you make it up?
Sally

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 10:08:05 am »
I make up things as I go along and then write patterns afterwards. I know the style I want so it should be plain sailing. I have just been asked to exhibit at a show for 3 months so my head is all of a tizz at the moment

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 10:13:01 am »
My head is always in a tizz.  There is no way I can think up something original to do and wouldn't even know where to start.

Well done you for getting the exhibition.   :thumbsup:

I hope we will see the work that you produce and it will spur on those of us who can't think for ourselves.
Sally

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 10:17:13 am »
I am going to start and write down stuff for patterns for the extreme knitting as it is simple and quick which makes it addictive

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 10:55:21 am »
oh good, that will be very useful.  Do you think you will have enough for a small book at some stage?.  I would be happy to pay money for a pattern or book.
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS