Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woodland planting  (Read 3806 times)

berni

• Joined Jun 2011
Woodland planting
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:51 pm »
Info wanted :) we're thinking of putting in for a forestry commision grant to plant around 9 acres, does anyone have any good/bad experiences to share? :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Woodland planting
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:30:44 pm »
Best to get them up to see the site and discuss the grant. We were interested in a similar scheme but with the final payment four years after the last tree was planted and the first after fencing and all groundworks finished and inspected we decided the initial outlay was too expensive, Also we could not plant where WE thought would be ideal and' pretty' because of flight paths around the water, archaeology and habitats that would be destroyed by the trees. So there is a lot more to it than just planting trees. As with most grants they are always changing so I would just get them up and discuss face to face.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:11:49 pm »
We have 100+ acres planted through one of the forrestry schemes - it's my Dad who deals with it mainly so I'm not as clued up as him  ;) But as Hermit says, they decide what and where the planting is and it is densely planted  :-\ You've got a fair bit of maintenance and replanting to do (unless you manage to keep all the rabbits out as well  ::)) and if they're not 100% happy they'll withold payments until YOU bring it up to spec (at your expense)
We've also noticed a definate increased 'wetness' on all surrounding areas that aren't planted, as the rainwater can't penetrate the leaf cover and runs off - so make sure your drainage & ditches are all good  :thumbsup:
Also, consider carefully what you'll do with the land afterwards - the trees will need to be harvested and it does leave an awful mess. If your ground would be classed as good agricultural land, personally I wouldn't plant it but if it's kinda rough and never going to be good for anything stock wise then go for it. But get them out to see the site and talk to them from there, I've only talked to 3 or 4 forrestry guys, but they were all really helpful.
Good luck whatever you decide !

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:56:27 pm »
depends what you are wanting it for.
Ours was a woodland grant rather than forestry commission. (White rose woodland)
We have a local tree planting group who know all the grants and how 'points system' works.
they arrange everything, even fencing, we basically give the land up for 10 years, they do bring schoolkids out from towns to help planting and they teach them a bit about ecology.
They claim all the grants, then it's ours to fell, coppice or pollard. but it hasn't cost us a penny.
Native trees only, but I specified things to help wildlife. we have quite a mix.
If it isn't actually forestry you want, maybe try something like that? don't know where you are but there will be a tree nursery somewhere who could advise you.

berni

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:24 am »
Thankyou, we would be going for a woodland grant if any :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS