Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too late to reseed??  (Read 3784 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Too late to reseed??
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:20:38 pm »
Hello - piggies have done a great job of churning up first third of a field that was pretty poor pasture, and are busy working on the next third - our plan was always to reseed after.......  Am I better waiting for the frost to break up the clods left behind and reseeding in spring - or having a go at crude harrowing (we dont have a tractor!!) and reseed now?  I know you can sow grass mix spring or Autumn, just not sure if we are a bit close to the official boundaries of Autumn??
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:51:04 pm by FiB »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Too late to reseed??
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:27:04 pm »
I can understand that grass is still growing this is exceptional , grass seeding is done during the peak grass growing months ,and depending where you are in the country, for me early august is the latest . so i personally would wait until next year

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »
No point now wait till spring it will just lay not growing till then anyway being eaten by the birds  :chook:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:52:23 pm »
Thanks both, thats what my gut instinct said, but needed to check!  Will wait now.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:53 pm »
September is the latest to sow grass seed in central Scotland       this allows the seed to germinate and get to the tillering stage so it survives the frost     the same applies in the spring sowing about may to avoid the frosts :farmer:

windymiller

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:14:46 pm »
as said before, you need the seed to tiller and emerge before the frosts so even though its still growing here and unseasonably mild, usually grass needs sowing from end of april onwards, once the frost has finished.
if the pigs have made a mess i would plough it up now (if you can get on it) if not leave it till spring too, if ploughed up let the frosts work it down and reseed once the frosts have gone and when soils have warmed up again say april / may.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS