Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed costs - best deals  (Read 9485 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Feed costs - best deals
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 04:21:52 pm »
Thanks welshlass,
Just need to sort out some good storage for it then will be over. Many thanks. :thumbsup:
I've got an old chest freeser and some black bins that i fill up and then i've got an old caravan that i use to keep a tote bag that keeps the rest of it nice and dry.  It makes it worth while to buy in bulk :)

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 04:30:27 pm »
Liz i asked ACT today about pig feed    they don't do it in Scotland according to the lady :farmer:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 09:11:36 am »
Hi Robert. I've since heard that it wasn't ACT that were doing the £200 deal, it was ABN - which I'm told used to be Dalgetty. Neither are names I'm familiar with, but will try and find out more.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
ABN sounds familiar  i think they were the ones that gave a talk at an SAC meeting last year  it was a supplier to large scale pig farms
we use east coast vinners at drumlithie they go down as far as newcastle and Durham with pheasant food for the large estates  they also have a very large pig herd as well  :farmer:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 05:38:00 pm »
HI guys, you guys across the water and up in Scotland are very lucky with your prices I am in North Somerset and a 25K bag of pig finisher from a country store will set you back £9.90, to buy in bulk is cheaper however, still only takes it down to £7.25 for a 25K bag if you buy it by the tonne. My pregnant sows still get sow nuts with the wheat and barley but all others are now on barley and wheat mixed with milk (my own) or yogurt and haylage, they are doing very well on it.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »
Robert theres an ABN mill just outside Cupar in Fife. I think there was a story about it exploding a wee while ago makes you think what the heck goes into there feed. booooom :)
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 10:40:13 pm »
there is oil in it    it does not mater what type of oil  if it is hot and gets compressed  booooooom :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 02:46:58 pm »
HI guys, you guys across the water and up in Scotland are very lucky with your prices I am in North Somerset and a 25K bag of pig finisher from a country store will set you back £9.90, to buy in bulk is cheaper however, still only takes it down to £7.25 for a 25K bag if you buy it by the tonne. My pregnant sows still get sow nuts with the wheat and barley but all others are now on barley and wheat mixed with milk (my own) or yogurt and haylage, they are doing very well on it.

Doubt if this will make it any easier but they are meant to be running a ferry from down ur way somewhere to Swansea next year.  Not sure if it would work out any cheaper with fuel but thought it was worth a mention.

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »
Hi Welshlass, thanks again for your reply, thats just what we plan to do, went down the tip but the chap wouldnt let us have old freezers, said because of gases in them etc they were not allowed to let them go once they come into tip. So unless i sit at gate and wait wont be able to get one that way! We are looking in local papers etc and recycle website. One will turn up I'm sure. We plan to decant from big tote bag into all saved old plastic feed bags and get a barn cat. At least we have somewhere dry its just making it vermin proof really. We have 5 pigs and may share some with a friend also so I expect they will soon get through 600kgs. Havnt yet sat down to calculate how long it will last.  :pig:  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »
wheelie bins      they cover you when you get inspected by trading standards for storing feed open bags will get you a ticking of and further inspections :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 04:58:51 pm »
Hi Welshlass, thanks again for your reply, thats just what we plan to do, went down the tip but the chap wouldnt let us have old freezers, said because of gases in them etc they were not allowed to let them go once they come into tip. So unless i sit at gate and wait wont be able to get one that way! We are looking in local papers etc and recycle website. One will turn up I'm sure. We plan to decant from big tote bag into all saved old plastic feed bags and get a barn cat. At least we have somewhere dry its just making it vermin proof really. We have 5 pigs and may share some with a friend also so I expect they will soon get through 600kgs. Havnt yet sat down to calculate how long it will last.  :pig:  :wave:

Try joining the local Freeecycle :) you'll be suprised how many are getting shot of them.  I've been told by horsey people that they use upright fridge-freezers to but they don't have the lids stay up like a chest.  I've never tried it but been told they work just as well.

Also there are facebook pages about that are for re-using items and wanted pages

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS