Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: questions from newbie thinking about pigs next year  (Read 8867 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: questions from newbie thinking about pigs next year
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 01:15:17 pm »
Oh look, this forum is addictive, having read this thread now I want pigs as well as ponies...... :D
(can't have pigs, land far too wet, pigs would be up to their bellies in peat bog, which would never recover, in no time flat......) ;)
Hmmm.... maybe a couple of weaners over the summer?  If I manage to catch Meg next time, she'd have some ready for new homes end of May, so they'd be growing June-July-August, butched end Sept...  ;)  What would you like me to cross her with?  Saddleback again?   ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:28:10 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 01:50:51 pm »
true free ranging         the second pic looks like they are looking for bother :farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:52 pm »
the second pic looks like they are looking for bother
don't they just  :D

Your piglets are too cute  ;D but your suggestion carries with it the fond notion that it rains less here in the summer...... :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 09:56:59 pm »
Your piglets are too cute  ;D but your suggestion carries with it the fond notion that it rains less here in the summer...... :D

lol  ;D ;D ;D and yeah, same here.  In fact, spring and autumn have been drier and summer wetter this year  ::)  (Autumn drier until these last three days, that is - catching up now!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

upthetump

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »
we've had our first pigs since july and they are due to go a week monday. we have 2 tamworthxGOS boars. They have absolutely destroyed the ground but, what a rewarding experience so far. Every Sunday we muck out the shed and they play up awful 'cos they know we'll give them more pellets to leave us alone. if i walk inside the electric fence they wont leave me alone. i was repairing one section and one of the pigs started nudging my backside for attention. i was there scratching his ears, back, belly for about 20 minutes. we have about a third of an acre and have been  gradually opening it out to them, but can they root. 20m square in a few days no problem and they are on a maintenance level of pellets and 20 kilos of apples a day. we have approx a third left so next year we plan to let them start on that, let the other ground recover and plant that with food for them. swedes, pumpkins, kale, even looking at apple and sweet chestnut trees. go for it, great experience.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS