Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Collie  (Read 11830 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
The Collie
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:27:35 am »
Having been giving Rascal my Border Collie I decided to go onto the Amazon site and buy a book. Understanding Border Collies by Barbara Sykes. Book arrived yesterday afternoon and I spent last night reading. I find it very interesting, its more to do on how the collie thinks and what to expect of your puppy through to old age. I can see already that Rascal is very clever. At 9 wks of age he knows that if he sits quietly when I am making his food he gets it quicker. That taking him outside is for him to pee before playing and when  I place him in his bed next to ours it is for him to sleep. He only goes in the puppy pen if he has to be left in the house while I am out. I am still trying to get him to understand that the cats are not playmates, Barnaby has given him a smack twice so he has been more wary of him but Jacs still runs away. He has a mad hour before bedtime when Jake and he play chase round the room.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: The Collie
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:05:03 pm »
Glad he's settling in well.  Sounds like he is going to be a great companion.  :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:13 pm »
Great stuff, are you going to work him?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:31:29 pm »
I don't have the knowledge at the moment to work him but I plan to speak to my friend David who is a farmer on how I should go about it. I trained my German Shepherds the same way the police do so I see no reason why I cannot train Rascal and I am sure David will keep me right. he has lots of sheep but lost his collie last year.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:31:50 pm »
Good name  :D I love that Barbara Sykes book  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 05:40:19 pm »
Great stuff, are you going to work him?

Hey, fantastic excuse to get some runner ducks for him to practice with!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:49:37 pm »
Good luck Sabrina - please do share any pearls of wisdom that work with Rascal - hoping Zip will led a hand (paw) with the sheep but I'm in the a similar position - beginner, and  - german shepherd did emergency rescue training - only to fail as loved people not other dogs!!

PS Zip does love rounding up my call ducks - when they get fed up they fly back to their wee pond - win win as far as I'm concerned
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 01:29:32 pm »

Hi :wave:     - nice  to hear Rascal is doing O.k :D
 I too have a young border collie which I hope is going to make a useful working dog on the farm,but at the moment we seem to be a bit in limbo :-\
"Meg" is so keen to get to the sheep :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: -she becomes frantic with excitement,barking pulling etc ---- I suppose this is normal for a 9 mouth old? I am trying to stay one step ahead of her all the time!

I believe she really needs to be a bit older both physically and mentally before we start serious sheepdog work and at the moment  basic obedience in short daily sessions and the opportunity to circle a batch of lambs about twice a week is all she is doing in her early education

Has anybody got any comments or recommendation as to when to start a dog on sheep?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 02:36:15 pm »
As far as I know ( and I may be wrong ) most farmers take the pup out with an older dog as soon as it is able but on a long rope. Rascal started collar and lead training yesterday and today he has been taken into the paddock with the two geldings on his lead to see what he made of the ponies. Nothing so far has bothered him. He is still being very good among the chickens and our two ducks but I expect that will change soon enough. I already see him using his eye when Jake is running like a mad thing in the field. With Zip being that little bit older I will be very interested on how he comes along, at least you have the sheep and goats  we will get lambs next year but at the moment its ponies, chickens, ducks and the two pigs. The pigs just look at him.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 12:59:32 am »
Has anybody got any comments or recommendation as to when to start a dog on sheep?

Hi Tilly

An experienced sheepdog trainer can start a collie on its training as soon as it is showing any interest in sheep, but you really do need to know what you are doing, especially with one as keen as Meg sounds! 

Do you have a trainer who trains handlers near you?  I'm lucky to be near Derek Scrimgeour; he helps a lot of people start their young dogs.  I would certainly recommend getting a mentor for your first time - and so long as your mentor is okay with Derek's methods, there's a lot of really useful footage in his DVD The Shepherd's Pup.  Otherwise hopefully your mentor can recommend other books / videos for you.

Cheers
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:04:54 am »

--Thanks Sally, I am following Derek Scrimgeours methods..... already have"talking sheepdogs"the book, and training secrets of a hill farmer- DVD both really good.
I have been to sheepdog training classes with my first dog gypsy so not entirely novice but will take Meg when she is a little older and get some professional help.

I thought you all might like to see some pictures.........

..... she is a "live wire", but keen to please ,so fingers crossed we will form a happy working partnership.

look forward to seeing how Zip and Rascal come on....

Tilly and Meg  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:23:32 am »
Meg looks like she's coming along just great, Tilly!

If you haven't seen Derek's The Shepherd's Pup DVD, I do recommend it for where you are - it is a very detailed, lesson by lesson guide to the development of all of the necessary skills and commands from early exposure to sheep to being ready for work on the farm.  I found it a tremendous help - it's much more specific and detailed than the Hill Shepherd one.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:47 am »
What a lovely collie Meg is and you can see by your photo's that she is very keen, I am sure she will make a great working dog.  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:19 am »
Rascal went to the vet the other day to start his injections. Not keen as soon as we went into the place. While i was waiting a lady came out with the most beautiful red and white Irish Setter almost pulling her over in his rush to get to the door. Once she got control she went to pay her bill. I said it was unusual to see one around here and she said it was unusual to meet someone who knew what he was. While we were chatting Rascal who was sitting on my lap was busy growling away at the poor dog. The vet made friends with Rascal quickly by giving him treats which he was so busy eating that the injection was done and he was none the wiser. In 2 wks time he gets his 2nd and his microchip which I am sure he will notice. Its an 18 mile round trip to the vet and he travelled very well so i was well pleased. He wants to be with me all the time and makes a huge fuss if he can see me but not get to me. ( I shut him an old hen run while I put the ponies out, for his own safety but of coarse he does not see it that way ) Once it is safe and he is quite again I let him out but i am sure the whole neighbourhood must hear his protest. House training is a hit and a miss, we have the puppy pads but he does not always use them and if I do get him out in time he gets lots of praise. sure it will all click in his brain one day.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 10:10:30 am »
If you'd been nearer Inverurie I'd have said that might be my pal with the red and white.  She has a young boy, he's had his jabs though I think.  That's a long way for your vet - is it through choice of vet or is that the nearest?  Long way in an emergency!  Sounds like they are worth travelling to though.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS