Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: slapped, but not hard enough!  (Read 13261 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
slapped, but not hard enough!
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:20:44 pm »
Hubby slapped marked the pigs on Sunday, did both shoulders whilst all 4 were eating and was quite chuffed that it went so well compared to the fiasco when putting metal ear tags in the last lot.

BUT, this morning the marks seem to have gone, so it seems he wasn't cruel enough......

Oh well, better luck next time.  When it's the first attempt I suppose  it's hard to judge just how hard to slap ???
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:29:45 pm by white-blazes »

robert waddell

Re: slapped, but not hard enough!H
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:48 pm »
you did use slap marking paste?       did you cover the pins in paste a lot of paste   also did you rub the paste into the pin holes that you made on the pigs      it does wear of but it should still be visible :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Re: slapped, but not hard enough!H
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »
 ??? don't know anything about paste, we ordered the slapper and ink and no instructions came, I thought it was a case of just ink the slapper with a toothbrush and slap away :-[  Just as well we have another 3 weeks to 'd' day......... what is the paste and where does it come from please Robert?

robert waddell

Re: slapped, but not hard enough!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:33:34 pm »
the paste should be the ink              slap marker paste is used to do the tattooing      it works the best
did you get it from SFS :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:38:03 pm »
Yes got it from SFS. I didn't think he'd sell me short he was extremely helpful in his emails, thought I'd missed an important item then.  I think it was down to hubby not slapping hard enough, oh well, better luck next week when he's home again ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:44:26 pm »
if the pigs let you near them have a look and see if the skin is punctured     you have to use a fair bit of force
it is hard to get a permanent lasting ink or paste for tattooing as it fades with age yet some people  bill howes   can do a perfect job that lasts and is very distinctive        i have been doing it for over 40 years and it still fades :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »
You're best off doing it the day of slaughter,a bit of food in the trailer and a firm slap, job done.  :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:34 am »
I usually tag my pigs and am slapping them for the first time when mine go on 28th. I think the thing is to give them a good FIRM slap but not as hard as though you were swinging an axe at a log. I did offer to practise on the O.H. but was turned down ;D

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:14:59 pm »
Hi,

Sorry coming late to this one.

As long as you have plenty of ink on the pins and give a good firm slap (not too excessive) then the tattoo will take. - As Robert says if the skin is punctured a bit of ink rubbed in will not do any harm, but its not strictly necessary.

Trials have been carried out on this ink by a VERY big slaughterhouse, for ink retention when slapping just before slaughter, a week before slaughter and 3 months before slaughter - all have passed the requirements - and this ink is in the process of being mandated by some of the larger supermarkets - so the ink is not a problem.

Sometimes the tattoo is not visible on the live animal but can be seen clearly on the carcass after slaughter and cleaning.

But if in doubt do it again, a little more forceful with PLENTY of ink on the pins - they are very sharp and should penetrate the skin easily

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:39 pm »
White Blazes which abatoir are you using? If it's Denbigh check with them as they specified ear tags when I last used them.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:59:49 pm »
I've got home made tattoos around my body made from the ink of bic biros and they still exist 20 odd years on clear as a bell (and looking like a 15 years old drew them - whoops)  ;)

Never seen a pig slapper before, is it made from multiple needles/pins or like a dot matrix/old skool digi clock layout???

Sorry I am no help - just interested :)

After tattoing myself - the more ink supplied to the area the better its going to be? Loads up them needles with ink :) - the rest will wipe away/over.

Good luck.

Baz

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:17:04 pm »
Hi Baz,

Its a plate with multiple sharpened pins on it, that fits in a slapper handle.

If you use the link at the bottom of this page to visit our sire and do a search for "plate" you will see the slapper plate - click on the image to enlarge it to give a better view.

I certainly wouldnt like to be slapped with one.........But the pigs dont seem to flinch.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »
Thanks all.  I'm sure it was down to hubby not slapping hard enough.  We'll have another go just before they go to slaughter, they are so food-orientated right now they didn't notice him anyway, so next time he can afford to be a bit more forcefull.

So when he's slapped, we need to just rub over the ink yes, make sure it goes into the 'holes'?

White Blazes which abatoir are you using? If it's Denbigh check with them as they specified ear tags when I last used them.

We're using the same one we used last time on Anglesey, so only a 5 mile journey for them ;)

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »
If the pins are inked well you dont need to do any rubbing - but if it makes you feel better then feel free  :bunny:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:55 pm »
When I did mine I was worried that it looked like it hadn't taken but when I got them back the tattoos were very clear.  I got my ink and slapper from SFS and I agree very helpful :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS