Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this greasy pig disease?  (Read 5717 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Is this greasy pig disease?
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:10:54 am »
I think Cuthbert, my 7/8 month old kune kune castrate has greasy pig disease  :(
Hopefully you can see the photo and tell me if this does look like it is the case. This is from just above his armpit, which is the worst affected place and does feel very greasy! He is very hairy so it's quite hard to see all over him. I just noticed it this morning whilst giving him a belly rub. There is none on his tummy incidentally. He has not lost any hair and is right as rain in himself. His skin does not look inflamed or crusty, just brown. I can see no sign of it on our other pig.

What is the best and fastest method of treatment? Does it require antibiotics?

I am currently treating one of my ducks for bumblefoot (which has thankfully made a significant improvement). Do you think they could be related? They share the same paddock and I read they are both caused by the staphylococcus (sp?) strain of bacteria.

This is all such bad timing, as i'm away on holiday in a couple of weeks!

Any help much appreciated

Nicola

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Is this greasy pig disease?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:36:03 am »
It's hard to tell from just looking at the picture, but it could be. If it was one of mine, I'd take a swab and/or phone my vet. Normally it does need a shot of antibiotics to clear it up. Staphylococcal bacteria are everywhere, so it's not likely to be related to the bumblefoot, and if you start treating soon it should have cleared up before you go on holiday!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:06 am »
I can't be 100% certain as I've been lucky enough to avoid it, but if it's weepy and smelly then I reckon there's a good chance. A swab from the skin will confirm it if your vet's not sure either. The usual treatment is antibiotics to clear it up. Has he been treated for external parasites ? Sometimes it can be caused by mange mites, or the bacteria can enter through a cut/graze on the skin, but I don't know if your duck could also be a factor  ??? Sorry !
Poor wee guy, hope he's feeling better soon
Karen  :wave:

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:51:28 pm »
Just spoke to the vet this evening, as I had to take my rabbit to have her teeth trimmed anyway. He said if it was greasy pig, he would be noticeably ill. Off his food etc. and have sores/scabby bits. He has none of these so I was told to just give him a good scrub  :D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:59:50 pm »
HOW DO YOU SCRUB A LIVELY PIG ?

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:04:41 pm »
He's a big softy. He'll just roll over and beg for more!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
Oh god yeah ! Mine LOVE getting washed !
If you've got a plastic scrubbing brush (like for doing floors) get it lathered up with some dog shampoo (a spot of tea tree oil doesn't hurt either) and get stuck in - prepare to get wet though, mine do the dog shake afterwards  ::) :D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:09:10 pm »
Do you apply any skin treatment afterwards..... Is this a summer thing to do?

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:20:09 pm »
it is a must if you are sending them to slaughter      they will reject them if to dirty :farmer:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 10:08:58 pm »
Wow another job - washing my pigs??!  How often do people do this!!!! ;D  What other jobs am I not knowing about?

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 10:16:54 pm »
I usually only do it if I'm showing them or if they look in need of a bit of a pamper (and if I've got time !)
It's definately not a regular occurance in my case  ;)
Harry, it's better to do it in the summer - I definately wouldn't do it at this time of year, too much chance of them getting a chill. You can apply pig oil (or veggie oil if you don't have pig oil) with a bit of tee tree oil to keep the flies away if flies are a problem or just sloosh it on and brush it in (with a scrubbing brush or horse grooming brush) and watch as they transform from mucky pigs into visions of porcine perfection (or maybe not  :D) But they do love it and they will look much more presentable (til they find their way back to the wallow  ::))

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »
I have some pig oil so will give him a go with that and a scrubbing brush at the weekend. May have to do it to his brother too, wouldn't want to show any preferential treatment!

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:24 pm »
it is a must if you are sending them to slaughter      they will reject them if to dirty :farmer:

OMG another job to do, note to self, next batch of pigs must go before the field turns into a quagmire ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS