Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weather signs  (Read 7000 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Weather signs
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 08:14:18 am »
here last year we had snow from October til April.....so a long winter is very very very long.....:-OO But I still get excited when I see the first snowflake and the lying snow does make the mornings seem less dark as it lights up your way! ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »
You must be a bit further up than South Devon then ;)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:05:29 pm »
We're doing well up to now no frost, had Bumblebees, lots of Ladybirds and Butterflies on the field in the last 2 days, mild mornings but temp is really starting to drop in the afternoons,

Have pine cones hung in the tree next to the barn and they are all closed so Bill Foggitt would say it going to be damp

But seriously I was having a look online about weather and stumbled across this forum for those who are interested in weather

http://www.weather-banter.co.uk/
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 11:15:16 am »
I am fully expecting a significant and imminent pattern change, that will result in a dominantly negative North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and Arctic Oscillation (AO) for the upcoming winter. The negative NAO and AO will allow cold air and snow to plunge into Europe and the UK, and weaken the polar vortex (something to keep an important eye on, over the coming weeks). This does not mean immediate snow and cold by any means, but it certainly improves the outlook for frequent cold and above normal snow across many parts of the UK, as we head into the final third of November and much of December. Some of these pattern changes are slightly later than anticipated, and even though it is difficult to believe with the unseasonably mild weather we have been experiencing (which I underestimated), I have very high confidence that we will shortly be entering a gradual cooling trend, that will bring frequent cold and widespread heavy snowfall across many parts of the UK.
As I stated in my last update and many others, I fully expect the blocking to be more sustained this winter in comparison to the 2010/11 winter. It is therefore a logical conclusion that a more sustained blocking pattern, could result in temperature or snowfall records being broken within that defined time frame, or for the winter as a whole.
One final note, I certainly never said anything about WIDESPREAD heavy snowfall in October, or Siberian temperatures to hit us in weeks. These are headlines to grab your attention, the quotes within the articles from myself read somewhat differently. Although I am very grateful to the Daily Express who have sufficiently raised enough awareness of another cold and snowy winter.
The final and big question on the cards is 'WILL IT SNOW' ?
My answer: YES, and it will be widespread across many parts of the UK.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS