Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weather signs  (Read 6998 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Weather signs
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:29:05 am »
Since the weather scientists (alright,  meteorologists - but why doesn't that mean someone who studies asteroids?  ;D) .. since the meteorologists have now admitted that they can't predict the weather any more, at least not more than a week or so ahead, I wondered what signs any of you folks use and what they are saying this year?

I trust my Fell Ponies' instincts.  My gelding saved my life (and his) once, refusing to go up a hill in the rain - thunder and lightening came soon, and the next day we found a bullock dead on that very hillside, no visible cause of death and the insurance accepted a claim for struck by lightening.  Many times the mare has refused to go out 'on top' and evil weather has come in within 30 minutes.

Last year, the ponies grew really thick coats by the end of October.  Snow came mid-November and broadly lasted until after Christmas.  This year they are only just starting to thicken up their coats, and so far nothing like as thick as last year or the year before.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: Weather signs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:35:23 am »
 :ladybug: Ladybirds, the sight of ladybirds always tell me that the land is warm. If I see them in February or March then that can be regarded as a summer drought. We had Ladybirds on the south side of Huddersfield, Barnsley border last February as I was on a country walk and stopped to talk to a farmer who was playing with an engine in his old Massey 35. He said "we are in for a drought, there's ladybirds". By the end of April into March we had a drought. Cannot say it worked for the summer?
I am still finding Ladybirds by the first week of November in the ground in my field which is on the Huddersfield/Halifax border. Having said that I did not see any on November 6th and we have had our first proper ground frost.   :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:27:15 am »
I go by the berries on the Rowan (Mountain Ash) tree - many haws means many snaws  ;)
There were a fair few berries (haws) this year so we're bracing ourselves  ::)
And the old one about snow lying behind dry stone dykes meaning there's still more snow to come seems to be consistantly accurate too  :-\
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:53:56 am »
two nights hard frost before the old term (11Th November) half the winter is away ye may be sure there is fodder enough            and if there is no frost the reverse is true :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:01:07 am »
My pigs are the best weather forecasters, you only have to look to see how they building their beds to know we're in for some nasty weather, also berries on the trees, haws, sloes etc loads this year which is the sign of a hard winter to come. Perishing frost last night troughs and taps frozen this morning, they didn't forecast that for this area last night, daren't look at my geraniums in the greenhouse, hope they've survived will bring them in this afty.
Mandy  :pig:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:38:16 am »
I just assume it's going to be wintery and if it's not then I get a surprise  :D :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:01:32 am »
i think you re right i have a paid forcast which is put up on here .winter 2010 i was told that December would be the coldist for 100 yeres so i got all the stock in the barns .we have been told that the 1st or the second week off December will be bad but from the end off December very cold January .Whot i think is we have  had 2 bad winters i Carnot see a 3rd October very mild and no cold in Europe Att least till the end off November iv got stock in sheds laying well and hatching naw for spring just in case It goes dawn hill .iff it was  a green Christmas it would be fantastic .we can go for days not seeing eney body ,this yere has been the best ever 310 lambs lots off stock bred good Autumn .so i hope that its a mild winter no snow till Christmas cold January and that's itt.October November has been very good chickins out side warm days i hope it lasts.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:10:06 am by Victorian Farmer »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »
I just assume it's going to be wintery and if it's not then I get a surprise  :D :D

;D ;D  I bet you're right more often than the weather forecasters!  And than those of us using nature's signs and old wives' tales...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:54 pm »
It's going to be mild.  Thats because I'm far better prepared than last winter already. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »
It's going to be mild.  Thats because I'm far better prepared than last winter already.

Aye, that'll be it.  We've more silage than ever, more hay than ever, the refurbished cattle shed is comfy and awaiting occupants ...

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 05:41:27 pm »
A car came in the garage workshop today for a repair and sat on the roof, a Ladybird. A black one with red spots, I've look it up and it comes under a Harlequin axyridis ? Do not ask what it means apart from despite the damp low cloud, lady birds are still about in Huddersfield.  :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:05 pm »
Aren't Harlequins the baddies?  There have been plagues of them.  :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :ladybug: :o ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:24:30 pm »
I think you're right fleecewife.  Isn't it one of those biological-controls-gone-wrong stories?  Introduced to eat aphids and now it's displacing the native species?  (As well as hibernating in houses, making stains and stenches and, so I've read, even biting people!)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 11:50:43 pm »
I go by the berries on the Rowan (Mountain Ash) tree - many haws means many snaws  ;)
There were a fair few berries (haws) this year so we're bracing ourselves  ::)
And the old one about snow lying behind dry stone dykes meaning there's still more snow to come seems to be consistantly accurate too  :-\
Karen  :wave:

Re the snow behind the dykes: the old boys round here say 'Aye the old man will be back for his bones'....which I love!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 07:40:58 am »
I'm inclined to think that a glut of berries, sloes etc. is a sign that we had a mildish Spring. No frosts to kill the blossom/young fruit.
I'm with you, Fleecewife, I assume that as it's winter it'll be cold. The thing I love about British weather is that whatever comes along you know it won't last for too long. No more than a week or so down this way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS