Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best breed for butter and cheese  (Read 3172 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Best breed for butter and cheese
« on: November 05, 2011, 06:10:56 pm »
which breeds are best for butter and cheese please?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Best breed for butter and cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:35:59 pm »
one with high butterfat content -
Sanaan,
Toggenburg
Nubian - though have a lower yield than those above

*ducks to avoid flying objects!*

we've found our Toggie has much creamier milk than the Sanaan
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:36:28 pm »
The amount of butterfat changes throughout the lactation, and also depends to some extent on the feed you give. All of  mine (GG's and the AOV BT type) have now got much better butterfat values (I milk record) than earlier in the summer, but the actual milk yields are obviously quite a bit lower. Butterfat values are also quite susceptible to any disease - mastitis and such like.

I find BT's and GG's have similar fat%-es.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:33:36 am »
ANs have a higher BF naturally than other breeds..... mine are all in the 5- 6% area. all year.

Saanens that I imported from Holland last year have a family BF average of 4.5%.... I have lactation records for these figures.

As others have said, the feed has a huge influence.  Last year my girls had access to woodland with very varied content but they loved the frsh new growth on the conifers,  just nipping out the tips.  The average BF went up to 7%.
This year they haven't been down the woods and the BF has gone back to average 5%

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:59:45 am »
You can actually breed for butterfat content as well. Some "families" have better butterfat's than others- we have a British Toggenburg who always has really good butterfats- and she is bred from Webster & Smith's BT line, which all have good fats. AN's naturally have the highest BF, but can give a lower yield, and sometimes more importantly, a shorter lactation, meaning they might need to kid more often in order to keep producing milk.

Anke is right- BF do vary through the lactation. We have had milkers who might have low BF in the summer during their first part of their lactation due to the volume of milk they are producing, but then by the following summer they are back producing 4.5%

Beth

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:49:44 pm »
it's a bloomin minefield me thinks!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »
that it is!
I've made cheese with some very different milks - just stick with the breeds you like I reckon :)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:54:31 pm »
Mine are pure Sanaans.  I've never measured the butter fat - not sure how, to be honest - but the first goat's milk isn't that creamy and when I've tried to separate it by skimming off the topo, there's hardly any cream.. However, her daughter's milk separates beautifully and I end up with a good quantity of cream that is almost like clotted cream.  The plan was to save it up and make butter, which might work if I didn't use a spoon to skim with and if I didn't like cream so much.  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:57:40 pm »
The plan was to save it up and make butter, which might work if I didn't use a spoon to skim with and if I didn't like cream so much.  ;)

:yum: ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:44 am »
Yes,liking cream is a problem for me too.  And I am not supposed to eat cream, or any dairy products as it make me ill.  Although I do seem to be able to tolerate goats milk better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS