Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please Vermyl for milking cow  (Read 5669 times)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Help please Vermyl for milking cow
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:50:12 am »
Would really appreciate some advice, hubby administered Vermyl to our jersey cow 8 days ago, her calf of 8 months still milking of her - anyway today we startd milking her for ourselves, have noticed white flakey bits in the milk - probably just the cream, but on reading the back of the vermyl bottle it seems that you are not to administer it to milking cow, goats or to chickens from whom we are taking eggs for our consumption!!  Hubby now really upset as he hadn't read it properly but my fault to as I went out and left him to it and as I am the one that speaks french I should have checked.

Anyway please tell me can we ever drink or use the milk again?Huh?Huh??

What side effects would we have if we drank the milk on the 8 th day after treatment??

The contents of vermyl are: pipèrazine 4.4g in the form of d'hexahydrate  and an base mixer having just read the effects of piperazine are renal failure, being high, skin problems, itchy eyes etc etc

Help does this mean we can never drink the milk again?Huh?Huh?Huh??

Very worried person this end

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Help please Vermyl for milking cow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:26:28 pm »
I dont know the product myself but on the packaging or on the info leaflet that should come with it there should be a withdrawal date for milk and for meat. If you cant find this go to your supplier or the manufacturer who should be able to help.
Fresh calved cows sometimes have flaky bits but if they are stringy or clotted it could be a mild mastitis. It is normally in the first few squirts(foremilk) and can be examined in a strip cup or which will show up clots. Like all infections if its not to bad can clear up itself but if it continues you will need to get treatment. Massaging the udder with a product like udder mint can be helpfull it is the massaging that increases blood flow and is great for cows that have just calved with "nature" in their udder. The mint? well it smells nice.  ;)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »
Thanks for your reply but she calved 8 months ago so don't think it is that - if it is an infection how else would I be able to tell please?

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 02:25:48 pm »
There are some mastitis testing kits available or ask your vet to do a culture of the milk.

I would be more worried about the Vermyl I did a google and if I found the right product it looks like a chicken wormer(sorry I dont speak or read French). Best check with the manufacturer asap.

It is really important that medicines are given to the correct target species. Some products perfectly safe on some animals will kill others.
ie Spot on for dogs will kill cats grooming the dog. Ivomec for cattle can kill dogs.

Personally I would not use the milk until you have checked how long the product is active for.

Hope you get it sorted ok.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:50:02 pm »
There is a site called NOAH www.noah.co.uk it's the National Office of Animal Health. It has detailed information on all drugs for animals.

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »
Chickens,

Just read my last post again. It wasnt supposed to be a lecture and I apologise if it came across that way.

Did you manage to find out any more information from the manufacturers. I hope it goes ok.

Let us know.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:08:14 pm »
Hi

Thanks for your help everyone.  Really appreciated.  I just read my post again sorry for all the huh huh huh's not sure what happened there.

No herdsman I did not take it that way at all in fact I really appreciate any advice.

I spoke to the pharmacy man/vet today as it is the pharmacy that sell the product and he told me that there was absolutely nothing to worry about - he said in the olden days men were given piperazine for worms and it is still in syrups given to babies.  He said the fact that it said dont give it to cows where milk is for human consumption is for those selling milk to others where tests would be done and it would be picked up in the tests (on the milk that is)
but he really assured me there was nothing to worry about.

We know it would not harm the animals as it is for cows and is homeopathic its just because it said dont give it to miilking cows where we are drinking the milk;

so relieved now....

Thanks again

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:57:03 pm »
Thats Good news. Enjoy that lovely Jersey milk. The first dairy herd I managed was Jerseys there is something special about them. We used to reckon they were more effecient than the holstein when you took body size and milk quality into account.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 09:27:23 pm »
you are right - there is something very special about Berechone our jersey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS