Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to buy 2 sheep??  (Read 7867 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Where to buy 2 sheep??
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:08:38 pm »
Hi!
We have about 1.5 acres of too much grass! Our field was not topped or cut for hay, so waay too much grass for us. We have chickens in a 50m electric fenced area, and will have a fenced in veggie patch in the spring.

Would love a couple sheep - if native/rare then that would be fab!
Our paddock is part of a friends large field we rent. Field has holding number (she has sheep/goats etc) so just need flock number etc.

My problem is finding sheep this time of year. Store lambs would be great- would love to breed from 1 and have 1 for the freezer. Have looked at local rarebreed places but a bit pricey (worth it for the breeds I know, just short of cash at the mo). Have kept sheep before and my friend is a vet so good home waiting.

Any ideas where to look for some? Local sales are for lots of sheep not just a couple!

oops meant to say we are in Devon!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Where to buy 2 sheep??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:49 pm »
Hi, i can think of a couple of places. If you have some sheep experience you could try a site called preloved. It will show you livestock for sale local to you. Otherwise you could try the society website for the breed of sheep you like. They normally have the contact details of breeders near you. Even if they have nothing for sale they are usually very friendly and have lots of great advice. Good luck, im a beginner too! :wave:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:52:47 pm »
Whereabouts in Devon are you? My neighbour has some Jacobs and other breeds.

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:15 pm »
try farmingads.co.uk  some livestock markets have singles or just a couple of sheep in a lot i know ours does.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »
Thanks guys for quick replies!!!

We are out side of Honiton, nr Luppitt. I Love Jacobs!

One side of paddock is 4 strand electric fencing, is this ok for them? Used to work at Farway Countryside park when I was as kid. They had some there -they were always escaping! Used to roll over the cattle grids!

Loving the forum!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:01:52 am »
i am a few miles from Luppit near Churchinford if you need any help.....let me know....i know of a shetland ewe available and can probably come up with another locally too.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:34:46 am »
Hi wollyval! I know Churchingford, not too far!
My friend has Shetlands, they are lovely. Need to crack on with flock number then!

Thanks for your help!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:24 am »
You're hooked, funkyfish (no pun intended)!

Two sheep will make little inroads on 1.5 acres - so you'll have to get more. Yep, that's you hooked.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:34 pm »
I need more to control the grass? Oh no how awfull! I will have to get a couple of  shetlands and use my friends ram..... Oh well what a shame!  :)

Have been out all day sorting the fencing- the hedge is a bit patchy...

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 05:57:07 pm »
Hi  :wave:
I have two Dorset x ewes for sale which are possibly in lamb!  We are near Salisbury though so maybe too far.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:46 am »
It's not the land that has the holding number, It's your friend,  the holding is linked to the person not the place.
So that is the first thing to get sorted.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 10:54:09 am »
tizaala are you sure that is right. ?
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »
The holding number goes with the land NOT the occupier as bigchicken thought, sorry tizaala you are wrong in your statement :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
the holding number goes with the land  the flock number goes with the owner of the animals :farmer:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »
Just to make matters even more confusing - sometimes it doesn't. I have my own holding numbers for me grazing land belonging to others who have their own holding numbers....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS