Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Runner beans  (Read 2484 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Runner beans
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:18 am »
Can i shell and store runner beans that gone over to use as dried beans?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:39:39 am »
Yes, just make sure they are thoroughly dried. Last time I did this I left them on the plants until the pods started to go crispy, then picked the pods and moved them to the greenhouse in trays. Some people hang them up and put something underneath to collect the beans.

Don't shell them - the pods will open naturally as they dry, and eventually shed their beans.

Once they are thoroughly dried store in a jar or other airtight container. Soak for 12 hours and boil for 10 minutes before cooking with them. You can also sow them again next year provided you're not using an F1 variety.

HTH.  :)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Runner beans
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »
Can i shell and store runner beans that gone over to use as dried beans?
Yes you can, but make sure they are fully dry before you put them in a jar.   They will also change colour and shrink in size.  I use them in soups and stews and leave some for next years planting.  All beans and peas can be left at the end of the seaon on the vine and allowed to become dry for use in such  foods  and for the following year seed.   Collecting your  own seed can some times be beneficial.  A plant will get used to your climate and water and collection of your own seed is often best if you are outside the norm...as we are.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS