Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheepskin Tannery  (Read 12628 times)

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
Re: Sheepskin Tannery
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 11:06:24 am »
I agree with fleecewife,
 if you ask the abattoir then any  abattoir worth its salt, even the bigger ones should be able to give you your skin back, and a small abattoir should have no problem at all.
Best Of luck.
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:18 pm »
I agree with fleecewife,
 if you ask the abattoir then any  abattoir worth its salt, even the bigger ones should be able to give you your skin back, and a small abattoir should have no problem at all.
Best Of luck.

Ha Ha,  very dry, "any abattoir worth its salt ........"
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:55 pm »
 ;D
took longenough for a comment ;D
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »
I hadn't realised you could do that.  Thanks.  No chance I could get the offal back too I suppose.  Nothing like fresh liver.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 01:32:18 pm »
The local abbatoir in Somerset will book the sheep in for a specific time then let you wait for the skins.  Last year we used Fenland and the treated skins were fantastic - but we had to take them to Bridgewater.  We could identify each sheep as there were only a few (6).  This year the skins will be collected for us from the abbatoir and taken to Devonia - I think it is going to cost about £30 each - but it means only one trip for us.  They always offer us as much of the offal as we want.  The butchery and labelling was excellent.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 10:45:19 pm »
Sounds fantastic, if only we weren't so far away!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 11:28:45 pm »
I hadn't realised you could do that.  Thanks.  No chance I could get the offal back too I suppose.  Nothing like fresh liver.
Certainly you should get the offal back and the lungs as well, if you want them. It's your sheep and therefore your meat. Though I must admit, sometimes our butcher forgets to give us the offal, but only because he freezes it as soon as possible, so it's in a different place to the fresh meat.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS