Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 7212 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Acorns
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 03:55:03 pm »
New forrest pig keepers are allowed to turn them out for pannage , quite how the get them back in again after is another matter....

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 07:58:35 pm »
are 2 pigs love the acorns one of the enclosers was
full of them seems to be lots this year

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »
They eat them all and don't miss any lol mine are terrible for them :) the way i see it is the pigs do a fab job, they don't miss any and it's safer for the equines.  Will be offering my herds services next year to close friends who keep horses

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 08:51:06 am »
New forrest pig keepers are allowed to turn them out for pannage , quite how the get them back in again after is another matter....
We dont find it too difficult to get them in, usually someone will let us know where they are running, either the Agister or another commoner and we all work together down here so quite often they will come in with someone elses pigs and then they contact us to say they have them.
Other than that we try to walk them to a fenced area and walk them into the trailer with buckets and boards
simples ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 11:48:05 am »
Ah! I have a horsy neighbour who complains (not nastily) that my pigs ALWAYS stand by the gate when she's riding her horse by and the poor little dear is terrified of them, so much so that she has to dismount and coax him by with horse "sweeties" that she carries for just such moments (Clever horse, I say ;))

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 01:39:16 pm »

Oakland - I love the idea of 'letting them out for a few hours'  ( we have an orchard and a patch of woodland in the next field which would be a joy for them) - but I'm scared I wont get them back in their space!!  We've had our 4 for 6 weeks now and they seem pretty settled, but I have no idea how to start the walking with a board thing.  They do come to the bucket at feed time, but dont always come over to me when they are not.  How do you get yours back?

You need to bucket train them first.

When you feed you pigs, if you always feed in the same place, when you arrive the pigs run to that place, and wait for the bucket to arrive. 
If however you feed in a different place each day, and go in and shake a bucket, the pigs learn to follow the bucket, so are bucket trained.
Now when they are let out to eat the acorns, i just rattle then bucket in front of them and they follow it home to feed and bed.
We do the same with our veg patch in the winter, a couple of pigs are walked to it in the morning on fine days, stay there turning it over and manuring it, and walked back top bed at night.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS