Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 7243 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Acorns
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:47:30 pm »
We have a tree line that goes down one side (boundry) of the field that are all oak.  My pigs have rooted the line of the boundry seeking out the acorns that fall.  I was sitting on the tree swing we have and sorta jiggling about to make more fall and they were actually fighting over them.

Somebody has just told me that acorns are bad for pigs?  I'm sure i read somewhere that they are sometimes used (where possible) as a staple part of a swines diet.  I did a bit of digging when a friends horse died of acorn poisoning :( none of mine have died or are ill due to eating them and i was after everybodys thoughts.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: Acorns
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:57:05 pm »
I do not know about Acorns, but beech trees were definately grown around here for the nuts to feed pigs. The wood near us that overlooks Junction 23 of the M62 motorway, (every one can see it when passing by), has two names; Plantation or Pig Hill Wood. It was a plantation of beech trees. The nuts are said to be oily and for pigs during winter.  :pig:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:58:42 pm »
well that will be the Italian pigs knackered then the acorns give that extra special flavour to there hams :farmer:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »
Acorns are fine for pigs, but in small quantities. Unless they are used to them the tannic acid can upset their digestions. We give ours the odd handful as pig sweeties. Your situation sounds fine: I think the problems have been when someone has tipped a bucket of acorns in for pigs which haven't had them before

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:00:29 pm »
When my pigs escaped they made a B-line for the acorns, ripping up the lawn  :'( they are also very partial to hazelnuts....

I don't know enough about pigs yet... But I do know the kune's and the Osb's have a real thing for them.

On another note the kune's didnt touch pumpkins but the Osb's loved them.

Greg

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:02:26 am »
well that will be the Italian pigs knackered then the acorns give that extra special flavour to there hams :farmer:

;D

I'm not a hard ham expert by any means but I was once sort of offered an opportunity to set up a holding in Tuscany for someone; the livelihood was a chestnut grove where the pigs would forage turning themselves into beautiful proscutio...  I guess it's different nuts in different places?  (Rather like TAS?  ;) :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:07:28 am »
As others have said, acorns are fine for pigs, just let them graze for them.

Ours are let out onto the fields with oaks and graze for a few hours.  We only restrict the time to prevent then digging the grass in these fields.

The pigs in the woods have free access to falling from a couple of oaks.

Yes it was traditional, this wiki link shows a nice picture on the right of pannage in the 14th century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannage

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:09 am »
As others have said, acorns are fine for pigs, just let them graze for them.

Ours are let out onto the fields with oaks and graze for a few hours.  We only restrict the time to prevent then digging the grass in these fields.

The pigs in the woods have free access to falling from a couple of oaks.

Yes it was traditional, this wiki link shows a nice picture on the right of pannage in the 14th century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannage

Oakland - I love the idea of 'letting them out for a few hours'  ( we have an orchard and a patch of woodland in the next field which would be a joy for them) - but I'm scared I wont get them back in their space!!  We've had our 4 for 6 weeks now and they seem pretty settled, but I have no idea how to start the walking with a board thing.  They do come to the bucket at feed time, but dont always come over to me when they are not.  How do you get yours back?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:39:08 am »
I love the idea of 'letting them out for a few hours'  ( we have an orchard and a patch of woodland in the next field which would be a joy for them) - but I'm scared I wont get them back in their space!!  We've had our 4 for 6 weeks now and they seem pretty settled, but I have no idea how to start the walking with a board thing.  They do come to the bucket at feed time, but dont always come over to me when they are not.  How do you get yours back?

Oaklands will answer for his situation but my two penn'orth would be to put them out a few hours before their normal tea-time then get them back following their bucket for tea.  They'll soon catch on.  ;D

Meg goes walkies around the farmstead sometimes - sometimes by invitation and sometimes not  ;) :D - but is never any trouble to get her back where she belongs.  As long as she's had a little while to explore and isn't harried back, she'll happily follow a bucket, or often now just walk alongside me, grunting happily to me, even if I'm empty-handed.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 08:46:57 am »
as sally said if they follow the bucket  there should be no problem    the board is just for confined spaces and showing once they get used to it(a board in the middle of an open field is as much use as a chocolate watch  if the pig has not been trained to it)  :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:42 am »
Thank you :) as always the best thing to do is ask the people who know a hell of a lot more than i do. 

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 11:07:08 am »
I have to go on an Acorn Hunt everyday at the moment as there are Oak trees in a couple of the sheep fields.  They are poisonous in quantity to sheep and so I collect them up daily and then bring them back and give 'em to the pigs  :thumbsup:  which makes it seem all the more worthwhile doing it.  ;)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 11:35:27 am »
Acorns are fine for pigs just as long as they get other food as well, We turn ours out every year for the Pannage season in the forest and they happily root around the oak trees hopefully saving some of the ponies lives cause they love them too.
We do have to ring them though or they would dig up a terrible mess and the agister would be after us.
If the acorn season is particuarly bad then we are granted a licence for grazing extension much to the riders' distain because they don't like us out their much ::)
Pigs and horses,  you know ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 02:24:53 pm »
Pigs and horses,  you know ::)

We've an ex-racehorse lodging here at the mo.  At first the pigs unnerved him, now he looks round expectantly when he hears the piglet delegation heading his way!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 03:20:22 pm »
Yes my old pony was great with pigs didn't mind them one bit but then i think i could off hacked him down the M27 and he wouldn't have batted an eye! had a fire engine with blues and twos going once come around the corner and there we were, politely standing to one side to let them through, should have seen the look on the drivers face :o
But whenever pannage comes around you should here the moans and groans of the riding brigade about spooking horses, my view is you should teach your horse about these things, after all it goes on every year, we will always have acorns so we will always need the pigs ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS