Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help... My Pigs Keep Escaping...  (Read 20783 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Help... My Pigs Keep Escaping...
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 09:36:07 am »
Blades of grass? Gizmos for testing? Don't you have any small children ;D ;D

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 11:38:18 pm »
you can get an electric fence tester a few £ssssss you stick the probe into the ground and the other end on the fence several L E Ds light up to indiciate power had mine years, well worth it....£10 ebay......  you need all lights on.

This is definitely the way to go, a fence tester(thought Robert would have his finger on the pulse, but obviously not :D), and you actually only need it up to 2000 volts to stop a pig getting out, but as Harry says 5000 would be best!!!!
There is and never will be any way that I am grabbing no electric fence to test it as that would be darn stupid, especially at my age! ;)
Getting on are you Stevie....walking stick....... the electric fence just might light you up.....Hey!!!!!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 11:53:47 pm »
disagree with the last two posters            our pigs sense when the fence is off or earthing out also if there is an electric fence that they have to cross to get out the paddock you have to remove it days before you want to shift them :farmer:
I agree......pigs constantly test the fence with their nose.......the small hairs on their nose carry the charge to the body if it is working ....hence telling the pig that the fence is working

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 01:35:35 am »
you can get an electric fence tester a few £ssssss you stick the probe into the ground and the other end on the fence several L E Ds light up to indiciate power had mine years, well worth it....£10 ebay......  you need all lights on.

This is definitely the way to go, a fence tester(thought Robert would have his finger on the pulse, but obviously not :D), and you actually only need it up to 2000 volts to stop a pig getting out, but as Harry says 5000 would be best!!!!
There is and never will be any way that I am grabbing no electric fence to test it as that would be darn stupid, especially at my age! ;)
Getting on are you Stevie....walking stick....... the electric fence just might light you up.....Hey!!!!!

Old, but not darn right stupid hey Blonde.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 08:26:31 pm »
We use energisers and old car batteries.  We have tape for the horses but for the pigs I bought rope instead, it's a bit thicker than the orange wire.  Mine respect it no problem. I can hear it clicking and it has a light flashing too and another that begins to flash when the battery is running low. 

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »
Ours goes to halfspeed when the battery is running down. Luckily you can see the flashing neon now it's getting darker earlier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS