Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help... My Pigs Keep Escaping...  (Read 20784 times)

Greg

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Help... My Pigs Keep Escaping...
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 07:08:16 pm »
dont bother getting out , ive just moved them into winter housing total indoors they have a very large polly tunnel to play in but the 9 still escape from there section of it and they are still on electric fence but the older 2 dont bother and they arnt on electric fence at all just have the tape going across there door way so it just shows some pigs are just better behaved then the others , well at least im getting my daily exercise chasing 9 4 month pigs about at least twice a day

Well that made me chuckle   :D

I think I'll just go with the flow and accept it as part of the piggy ownership.

Chasing pigs..... An old pig farmer in the village said to me...

"Lad.... It's like herding cats!!!".  ::) ;D

After the fun and games getting them back behind the fencing all the time I can see why!!

Cheers

Greg

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 08:36:42 pm »
I think your battery is more suited to a torch than an electric fence. I use two old car batteries on ours - one running the fence and the other on charge/standby - and swap them every week or two. Works well with our goats and pigs.

I've got a fence tester gizmo somewhere which you're welcome to borrow, but getting a belt off the fence yourself is the best test. I've done this to myself a few times and whilst you're likely to swear (I did!) it won't do you any real harm.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 09:21:28 pm »
As for car batteries being no good, b*****ks! I've always used car batteries simply because I have them already so I'm not going to buy a leisure battery especially. So long as you don't have your fence line constantly earthed out by foliage or rooted up earth the battery will last for months. I swap mine over and charge every couple of months and have never had a problem. As for moving pigs past the fence line it's amazing what they'll do when their nose is in a bucket of food.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 12:20:39 am »
blade of grass for testing or hold the wire......... BUGGER THAT £10 for a proper tester showing a range of power outputs, you tight lot ;D ;D ;D...........

:P harry!  ;)

It's not about being a tightwad, it's about:
  • not buying a gizmo to do something I can do with a little bit of ingenuity and nature's help
  • never finding that my tester doesn't work when I need it
  • always being able to find my tester
  • not having to find a place for my tester to live when not in use
  • oh, and being a tightwad  ;D

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 10:38:59 am »
We have lights that hang on the fences and flash when the fence is shorting out. A real boon on these dark days when it's easy to miss a lump of earth on a fence wire (though I still check the fence visually too once a day). Our pigs take 2 days on average to work out that the fence isn't working. I have seen one deliberately barge another pig against the fence to see if it's working! So far they haven't worked out what the light flashing means!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 10:52:28 am »
now tiva you have far to intelligent pigs        the ones you had at the highland show were prime examples
every time there pen was opened there they were observing how the pin came out and trying to work out how to get it open  ;D :farmer: ;D

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »
££££££££££ssssssss for weaners ££££££sssssssss for feed £££££££££££ssssssss for etc etc etc  blade of grass for testing or hold the wire......... BUGGER THAT £10 for a proper tester showing a range of power outputs, you tight lot ;D ;D ;D........... by the way you need a big liesure battery they are designed to be recharged from flat, not like a car battery that should have constant charging....mine is permanatly plugged into and intelligent charger while running the fence, £30, oh no here we go again

My preference also Harry :thumbsup: as there as you feel nothing.
Should really be duck breeders and they've got bums like one! ;)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 08:47:30 pm »
  • not buying a gizmo to do something I can do with a little bit of ingenuity and nature's help
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. The blade of grass method works perfectly and costs nothing.

ceilidhband

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:48 pm »
5 to 6 seconds between pulses is too long. Mine pulses once per second and keeps the pigs in nicely,

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 05:21:41 pm »
blade of grass for testing or hold the wire......... BUGGER THAT £10 for a proper tester showing a range of power outputs, you tight lot ;D ;D ;D...........

SALLY put it in your handbag, or maybe not ;) and hughesy if youve got one. Ive had mine about a million years always worked.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:26:08 pm by harry »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 05:40:05 pm »

SALLY put it in your handbag, or maybe not ;) and hughesy if youve got one. Ive had mine about a million years always worked.

A handbag!  ?   I don't carry a handbag!   ;D   

Grass is always around and always works  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:15 pm »
There is absolutely no need to spend money on a tester when a nice free readily available blade of grass will do the job fine. But if you like having gadgets go ahead get one.

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 08:17:49 pm »
the older they get the less chance of escape!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 01:12:58 pm »
unfortunately there is only one way to test your electric fence      and that is touch it yourself  is the electric wire touching any part of the wire fence  it does not matter how powerfull the energiser is if your fence is earthing out it is useless :farmer:
We have an elctric fence fault finder, and it tests the fence as well..... none of this touching the fence your self thanks.    It is put out by Gallagher.... called Smartfix.   around 300 dollars AUD and worth its weight in gold. It will find a fault and  it gives directon, tells you the amps lost during the short out and the volts, while this is happening, and once found the rating goes  up and the volts go up.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 01:50:11 pm »
I like our flashing light. I can see if there's a problem with the fence every time I look out of the window!
Yes, Robert, some of our pigs are just too damn clever! One of our OSB gilts seems to have worked out the flashing light! I've had to move it to where she can't see it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS