Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking goat  (Read 14288 times)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Milking goat
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 11:38:58 am »
Hi Beth and Alex

Thank you both ever so much for your advice.  She has terrible diarhhea this morning so I gave her something to help with that and also a glucose mixture to give her energy, she went at it like crazy so I will give her some more later plus the injection for the calcium - feel much more confident now having read your reply.

Thanks again

Nicki

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 10:35:47 pm »
Back again - she has had calcium injection and daily we are giving her glucose morning and night, for the last 3 days she has had medicine for diahroea and we have stopped her granules just given her lots of hay.  She goes out in to the field every day but we shut her in at night.

She is very weak, gets easily knocked over by the others, her face looks swollen to me, (but so does the other milking goat so perhaps it is just the breed) but her fur is very patchy and I think it itches her, any idea please as I am afraid we are going to lose her.

Thanks

Nicki

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 10:11:20 am »
If she's getting knocked over easily, shut her away from the others. It'll give her a break, and her kids will keep her company anyway. Her face being fluffy could be her being cold, it can make her hair go fluffy on her face which makes it look swollen. The itchiness leads me to think it might be an idea to give her something for lice/fleas. We use spot on, but you can't use the milk for human comsumption afterwards. However the itchiness probably isn't the base cause of what's wrong.

What are your minerals like? Is your area known for Copper deficiency? Copper deficiency can lead to anemia, and my mother (the vet) says it can also cause the scouring.

Make sure she does not have coccidiosis..........get dung tested! You said you got her last year, what can happen is that goats build up a resistance to coccidiosis, however they build up a resistance to their local strain of it. When moved and you will have coccidiois on your land, she could have picked up that strain and not had the same resistance to it. That can cause thin animals with the squits.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 01:03:36 pm »
Niki You have a very sick goat there.....please look at what I posted!! I had milkers giving huge quantities of milk.....it is not a calcium deficiency.....I know!!!

Treat for coxy, dose with a wormer that does fluke( bottle jaw...ie looks like swollen head, can be a symptom of fluke) and worms at a double dose and delouse her....use Spot on AND check the copper!!!!!

I think you may be too late though :-[

I know you have experience of goats its just that they are very complicated..........do you belong to the British Goat Society? V helpful even if in France. ALSO John Matthews their honorary vet is THE man re goats..........you could email him or phone direct.....very approachable chap............you must act or you could lose your other goat!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 03:25:06 pm »
I know vets are expensive but I think its time for a proper diagnosis, if its not to late already.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS