Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram for my X breed sheep  (Read 2238 times)

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
Ram for my X breed sheep
« on: October 23, 2011, 06:00:01 pm »
 Hi its that time again looking for suitable tupps I have 5 x breeds someting or other  no one knows what they are  I have been offered a Zwartble ram my worrie is that is the breed to big /not sure what to do ,I am only breeding for meat for the freezer so would it matter/ my ewes are quite large at least as big as texels ,thanx

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ram for my X breed sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »
NOT sure of the  question are you asking if the ewes can lamb safely, then probably yes the ram breed has a long thin face long neck narrow shoulders all good. Are you asking if the lambs will make good carcasses then they seem to be long with a decent gigot

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:59 pm »
If its only for 5 ewes then one answer would be the cheapest ram you can find or else the value of the lambs wont justify the expense. If you plan on getting more sheep then I would recomend a suffolk ram. Thats just my personal preference but I do think they have better feeet and faster growth than texels.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
got pics of the ewes at all? maybe someone will be able to tell you what breed they could be crossed etc and whether they could be easy lambers or  will need a helping hand.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS