Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: garlic  (Read 8725 times)

Re: garlic
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 11:42:44 am »
If you are looking for Bulk supplies we offer 5Kg for £25. and we will post to UK, France Eire etc.

Just click on our banner at the bottom of any forum page to visit us.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 01:06:20 pm »
Well...I have harvested my garlic........and it has filled out quite well.   I have them hanging in the coolest part of the house as there is no where else to hang them.  The leaves started to dye off about 2 weeks ago so I thought it best to just pull them out.   This week end I have pulled out all the onions. I bent the leaves over around 2 weeks ago and  they have bulbed out even more and heve them hanging in the same place as the garlic.   The onions might khave gone to seed so this was the best idea.  See what they are like  when they mature.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 10:28:21 pm »
I used to hang the onions and garlics in the legs of Alisons laddered tights after they had been washed 
 It became the takling point to a lot of my pals  ( 24 yrs ago  ;)

I've just  sorted out one of my raised beds , manured to 2 inches deep ade 2 inches of sharp sand and dug it all in then planted 8 cloves of Spanish elephant type garlic purchased from the veg part of th local Aldi store.
 We'll see how it grows on this soil .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Chrisnoel

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:42 pm »
Well...I have harvested my garlic........and it has filled out quite well.   I have them hanging in the coolest part of the house as there is no where else to hang them.  The leaves started to dye off about 2 weeks ago so I thought it best to just pull them out.   This week end I have pulled out all the onions. I bent the leaves over around 2 weeks ago and  they have bulbed out even more and heve them hanging in the same place as the garlic.   The onions might khave gone to seed so this was the best idea.  See what they are like  when they mature.

Garlic. plant in well mucked and dug ground while there is warmth in the soil, (about October) you should have 6 inch of green stems showing when winter comes, garlic is very hardy, keep well weeded, carefully lift mature bulbs with a fork, and dry upside down on an old metal bed frame, stems hanging thru the wires, keep dry and let wind & sun dry the roots, break off dry roots and remove rough dirty outer skins, when sorting out for storage/ next years growing stock. ( largest bulbs with the largest cloves) Garlic acclimatizes to your soil/ growing conditions. aim for bulbs the size of a tennis ball.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS