• Joined Mar 2011
garlic
« on: October 22, 2011, 02:11:27 am »
garlic....when do you plant?
 when do you pull it up?
 how much water do they need?
Do they tolerate full sun?
How long do the bulbs take to form?
Do you have to fold the leaves over to make the bulbs bigge?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: garlic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:32:48 am »
Have a look at: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/vegetables/growing/garlic-growing/

We've got a lot of growing guides in the pipeline, and much better structured than this one, but it should answer those questions.  :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:02:20 am »
Like shallots, plant on the shortest day day, pull on the longest.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »
Have a look at: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/vegetables/growing/garlic-growing/

We've got a lot of growing guides in the pipeline, and much better structured than this one, but it should answer those questions.  :)
Interesting article.   I did not know that you plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day.     Tell me more aobut the Elephant garlic. 

Does it have the same flavour as the smaller varieties?.

Does it grow the same as the smaller varieties?

How many cloves in a bulb?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:11:04 pm »

Quote from: DanAndOrRosemary
Plant with the flat end down the way - the new green shoot will emerge from the pointy end (a horticultural term)
Ah, now there was me thinking 'pointy end' was a yachting term?  ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 03:09:26 pm »
I did not know that you plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day.

That's a rule of thumb, I'd plant earlier if I were you, there's no harm in it and it's likely to end with a better sized bulb.

Tell me more aobut the Elephant garlic. 

Does it have the same flavour as the smaller varieties?.

Does it grow the same as the smaller varieties?

How many cloves in a bulb?

It's milder than the smaller varieties, great for roasting whole with potatoes and other veggies. It grows just the same, but obviously needs a bit more room. You'll get 6-8 cloves in a typical head.

Apparently it's not really garlic but some kind of leek gone rogue!

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 03:11:14 pm »
Ah, now there was me thinking 'pointy end' was a yachting term?  ;) :D

It's a common term and all about the context! Can also be applied when learning how to shoot - direct the pointy end away from yourself.   :D

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »
I bought some elephant garlic last year and it was really expensive so when I pulled it this year I kepted it hanging over the arga on the clothes creel and haven't eaten it but saved it and now this year I've got loads to plant! great way to save cash!  ;)
Red

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:44:24 pm »
Have a look at www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk - the shortest day/longest day isn't always the case - it depends on the type of garlic you plant.  there are tyes to plant at strange times and early and late croppers.  i would say that elephant garlic has about the same number of cloves as a normal size garlic, just that each clove is enormous!  Also think that Red has the right idea about buying it!

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »
I've been looking at buying garlic cloves for our community farm, but we're going to need much more than the two or three clove packs that I can find for sale online or at garden centres. Anyone know where I can bulk buy?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:45 am »
Anyone know where I can bulk buy?

Sainsbury's?  ;D

OK, not really serious, but we are now on our severalth year of planting garlic that originated from 'the really garlicky company', and they work great. By selectively planting from only the biggest bulbs each year, ours are now really quite huge!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 09:46:43 am »
If you know of anyone going to France over Christmas ask them to bring you back some bulbs from the shops there. The cloves will be huge and will grow happily in this country. I kept some going for years in this way but they do get smaller after time

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:37:05 am »
Hi = Garlic really expensive now over here and not that big a clove.   I plant in October and harvest in July - dont usually see elephant garlic around where we live in the Charente.  Some of the spanish garlic over here is bigger but still expensive.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 12:54:30 am »
Just found " cheesmans.co.uk " they sell bags of garlic .. don't know if they would post /carrier to you .
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:26:28 am by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 09:12:12 pm »
Just a wee bit more re the garlic buying....

I took a diversion through the Swansea  covered in market this afternoon on my way back to the car and found one stall selling bulk Spanish garlic at £5.50 per Kg

It is a slightly pink/purple topped white variety 55 mm diameter bulbs .

I had a look round other stalls , no one else was selling it except as in the small four in a sleeve packs.

On going back to the stall holder I enquired if they would be willing to sell by the Kg and P&P it to the purchaser .. yes was the reply but the P&P will cost extra.

The stall holder persons name /proprietor is

Chris Evans    land line  0172 642 247  mobile  07974 156 470
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:05:07 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS