Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Landrover Series 3  (Read 14290 times)

robert waddell

Re: Landrover Series 3
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »
both are making good money on flee bay    tell him to get on the opel manta forum or opel kadett owners club   :farmer:     the manta how bad is the rot

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »
Hiya
       Nice Landy, would not be without mine, have disco for towing caravan and the usual long distance stuff but a series 2 for my shooting and fishing as well as any other excuse to use it, it also comes with a winter heater which comprises of a different bobble hat and a thicker jacket. Its done 88k from new and is in great nick went through last MOT with no advisories or anything, not bad considering the punishment it gets when out lamping at night.  :wave:

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »
Carried out an MOT on a 1984 early 110 pickup truck cab this week. It has a quarter of a million miles on the clock. To pass the test it required various lights to be working and a fuel/oil leak in the pump area. Repaired it no problem, There is not a new Land Rover available that could claim such an ability without the fake & gay computer spitting its dummy out .  :o
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 07:55:31 pm »

Love it! I used to have a '69 Series IIa (88") and we used to take it everywhere. Never once got it stuck. Was very sorry to sell it. Also used to have a V8 Discovery which was a real beast of a vehicle.

Is it marine blue? I might still have a tin of paint that colour in the shed. I'll try and look it out for you if it is.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »
It is that early Defender blue before they called em Defenders, only known as '110 Coilers'. I think its darker than Marine blue.
A son of the soil .

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 08:19:47 pm »
you just got to love them     the posters that is
the lland rover (the series ones)were copies of the willis jeep
and everything else has evolved from that series one :farmer:

I'd take issue with that one Rob  ;)

I was always told by my instructors
The famous LR was a post war agricultural vehicle designed to be able to pull a single furrow plough as well as other small implenemts and go cross country   ..... designed as such to enable small farmers to have only one vehicle instead of a tractor and a utility vehicle so we could quickly come back to a sound agricultural productivity after the war.

The hollow box upswept wish bone chassis  idea  had been around for years , so had four wheel drive , tractor joints  , PTO's , transfer boxes and ally panels .

The LR was nowt like the Jeep and was far more reliable ( Oh to have it as reliable nowadays )

In my apprenticeship training days as a boy solidier doing an electro-mechanical theme we were told that the military became interested in the landrover to replace the Austin Champ which was a fantastic vehicle but very very expensive to produce and maintain  .
 I repaired my last Champ in 1968 .
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:29:39 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »

The prototype Landrover was certainly derived from the Willis Jeep and shared a lot of components. (Maurice Wilks, the chief designer owned one himself.) This was the near-legendary 'centre steer'.

The production Landrovers were very much their own thing, though.

I really must get round to buying another Landy.

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »
your instructors are correct the series one  and the range rover were both designed as working vehicles on a farm  the series one had an option of a PTO kit and belt pulley  the leaflets at the time depicted them as working during the day hosed out and take the wife to the opera at night a similar sales pitch was used with the first range rovers  Bertie pearl from Perth had his rangie photographed with a 4 wheel trailer   (front axle on a turntable) carting straw of his fields
it is well documented that the designer of the first landrover did use a jeep as his basis  there is no sign of any wishbones until the disco 3 and the equivalent rangie the hollow box chassis has also came in for criticism when they used thinner steel (discos)
the Austin champ was overpowered with the four litre rolls Royce engine that chewed transmissions and half shafts if you had a heavy right foot they even made a record about them there was also the Austin gypsy
yes everything since the series one (at land rover )has evolved from the series one :farmer:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:35:49 pm by robert waddell »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »
the Austin champ was overpowered with the four litre rolls Royce engine that chewed transmissions and half shafts if you had a heavy right foot they even made a record about them there was also the Austin gypsy
Ah yes, the Austin Gipsy, like when we decided to sell our Gipsy manual and main workshop manual on ebay. ended up buying a Gipsy instead. One day, with the help of the manuals, we may even get it to run!  ::)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 02:41:43 am »
Plantoid, would that be Cfn Plantiod ?
Regards,
Cfn Odin (Walker) or Yorkie as I was known.
A son of the soil .

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »
Ah yes, the Austin Gipsy, like when we decided to sell our Gipsy manual and main workshop manual on ebay. ended up buying a Gipsy instead. One day, with the help of the manuals, we may even get it to run!  ::)

I know a man who still might have his gypsy and may well have  repair manuals    would you like to see if he's willing to play ..he's even older than me !
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:11:18 pm by Plantoid »

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 06:10:27 pm »
Plantoid, would that be Cfn Plantiod ?
Regards,
Cfn Odin (Walker) or Yorkie as I was known.

No  .... Sgt REME  ;) ....  VMBE*  1966 till dec 1980

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »
A crusty  ;D with a 14yr record.
REME (V) TA . 1995 to 2008.  Saturdays An Sundays ! With a number of regular attachments. Made Tiffy for the last few years but my favourite slot was as Cpl with 4 Para V.   
A son of the soil .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS