Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Landrover Series 3  (Read 14310 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Landrover Series 3
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:08:32 am »
We now have our lovely SWB Landy Series 3. 1975 Petrol 2 and a quater engine with just 24k on the clock and is sweet as a nut; I am in love all over again  :love: :love:

Ive even devoted part of my website to our adventures and renovations. Fully comprehensive classic insurance £98 a year  ;D compared to me Pajero of £380 and had she been a 73 or earlier there would have been free Road Tax too. Parts are plentiful and cheap; just bought a full exhaust for her £36 Rocker Cover Gasget 60p and two bench seats for the rear at £32 each this will stop the moans and groans from them in the back and save a shed load on pile cream  :thumbsup:

Chuffed would be a underestimate  ;D ;D

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: Landrover Series 3
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:29:54 am »
 :farmer: Had all the old Land Rovers, glad that you have seen the light and experiencing the benefits. They are a bit thirsty them old petrols but if you manage your journeys then the benefits will be there. Ace with the roof off, its got to be done.
The most interesting 'Landy' I've had was a Series 1, 1955 eighty six inch wheel base, 2 ltr petrol with full rag top. It was such a versatile and use full vehicle that I believe Land Rover (the company) has lost the plot. These gay lord Chelsea tractors that they pump out can only be described as 'fake & gay'. The nearest thing to the old S1 is an old Suzuki Jeep.
Land Rover, sort your problem out and come back to where you started, a general purpose , GP , Jeep, Get It ?  >:(
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:14:31 am »
you just got to love them     the posters that is
the lland rover (the series ones)were copies of the willis jeep
and everything else has evolved from that series one :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:04:17 am »
Well done Cobra, you will have plenty of fun in that. 
My OH has series 3s whereas I have a '52 80" (yes full rag top which can come off so you have a safari version  ;D)  We love them all for local work although I wouldn't want to go much more than 50 miles in any of them - too loud and rough suspension.
It doesn't matter what they were developed from Robert, the old Landies have something special about them and they are British  :thumbsup:  Also no electronics so you can work on them happily and they don't stop when sunspot activity increases (what sun ? - we have hardly seen it for months).

Enjoy your new Landie Cobra.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:07:51 am »
Land Rover, sort your problem out and come back to where you started, a general purpose , GP , Jeep, Get It ?  >:(

Absolutely! Have you seen the pics of the proposed Defender replacement?  All very nice, but not hellish practical TBH. Mind you, all the farmers near us drive Mitsubishi pick-ups anyway!

Anyhow, just had a call from the garage..... they've fixed the clutch, but now it needs new driveshaft UJs as well. Does the list never end ?!?    There is something rather special about them though. Have fun with yours Cobra!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:53 am »
fleecewife       they are Indian now
i got a loan of a restored series one drove it from stirling to balfron and back fun but my legs are to long for a comfy ride newish ones can still be repaired by the owners as long as you do not go to new
owners love them because they are big mecano sets       and i am every bit the child as the next owner
6 classic range rovers 2 freelanders 2 td5discos 3 v8 discos and a disco 3  tdv6 (worst one of them all) currently have a tdv8 range rover and an ex metropolitan police v8 discovery :thumbsup: :farmer:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:43:58 pm by robert waddell »

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:43:06 am »
Excellent, great news Cobra.  :thumbsup:

We had a series 3 for a couple of years and loved it, at least in the summer.  :D

Some photos please if you get the chance.  :)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:38 pm »
Now I miss my landy even more (disco 300TDi) Has anyone seen those horrid new range rover things they have just launched yuk yuk yuk.

Enjoy your landy it will be the most fun you ever have with a car  :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »
only 100 evoques have been sold in the 6 weeks from launch
they may be ugly but the driver is not looking at it going along the road
the most fun i have had with cars were the Opel that i ran   manta a ascona a and a b  and a kadett coupe  c two litre fuel injected      sex on wheels    even Lillian drove by suppermarket windows looking at the reflection i can still picture it yet and that was 33 years ago :D :D :D :farmer:

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 04:05:26 pm »
Here's a pic of our landy:

In the photo she looks a faded blue but actually she is a faded grey. If I repsray her in the future I think I should keep to the original colour ?  I love the Marine Blue and the Bronze Green its so tempting.

I totally agree with you on the new products, the company that now own landrover have lost their way, they have little regard for the history and evolution of what Mr Wilkes and his team began.
Mr Wilkes certainly based it on the Willies Jeep, he had one for years; he started to wonder how he would manage to get spares from the states when the time came; this was the catalyst to design his own version, lets not forget the first Willies jeeps were only two wheel drive.
An American company were about to hit the market place with a four wheel drive version of the Willies for the general public, so they decided to work quickly, Rover were near collapse at the time and money was tight, concider this and then what they achieved, wheres our British industry now? It took just one year to go from conception of an idea to driving the first series 1 and its consequential first debut at the Dutch Motor Show.
When designing the landrover the only guide lines he gave his team were; design a vehicle like the Jeep, but better. Only use materials and fitting that we already have at Rover and last of all find a meterial that will be as strong as steal but cheaper, steal was in short supply after the war, the new aluminium was plentyfull and cheap. God I could rant on for ages, the history is fascinating but people are starting to yawn  :D

If your still awake and want to read more about our Landy you can find it here:
http://www.bikerslot.co.uk/4x4/Our%20Landy/LRChap1.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:18:30 pm by Cobra »

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 06:18:32 pm »
what you have written about land rover  (being starved of cash and development funding) is and was true up to ford BMW bought into it 4 door range rover door handles were Morris marina the fuel cap was of the leyland lorries  as was the steering shaft
we would only yawn if we were not into them
just another example of the government taking over a viable business and screwing it up :farmer:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:06:07 pm »
Old series landies great fun, but try driving one everywhere, as your only transport, for a year or so. I did and I'm not about to do it again in a hurry. Back to a nice comfy 300tdi disco for now until I get round to rebuilding my 110.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »
  :farmer:  The ideal GP (General Purpose) 4wd vehicle for basic small holder, farm and industrial work would be something on the lines of a Series One or Suzuki Jeep with a 2 Litre diesel engine. Two seats up front to carry a couple of big blokes and a back that would hold a 1000mm X 1000mm pallet with a simple fitting GRP cover that can be easily removed. One of my favorite features of the Series One was that the doors just lifted off the hinges, brilliant when working in tight areas or fields as doors become useless on in the way. With two pins on both the rear and front bumper I could pull and shove anything anywhere.   :trophy:
Another utility vehicle that I favour is the old Combo van. Loads of space in the back and very economical. I gave £100 for mine after a builder had been carrying a tonne in builders bags. Between my 200Tdi Ninety and Combo, both old but faithful, would not dream of buying a new motor as there is nothing out there to buy;-
 Land Rover have lost the plot and have put their faith in to Chelsea Tractor 'Nonse' motor market for folks that dont do 'mucky wark'. :dunce:
 Nissan & Mitsubishi produce them over grown Warrior fashion items that cry foul at the site of mud, crap and work because they are useless off road and cannot cope with scratches. Every scratch and dint on my Landy tells a story. Including the ones up the roof where its been rolled more than once. :P
Toyota, the Taliban favour them and the old Land Cruiser was a good motor but too large. But I bet they could soon knock something up. :thumbsup:

Britain aint working ? We don't produce 'owt to do any wark!  ::)
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 08:09:58 pm »
I'm very envious  ;D when I'm earning enough I may get another series 2A.

Old series landies great fun, but try driving one everywhere, as your only transport, for a year or so.

I had a 2A for 8 years as my only transport - including two trips to Durness, NW Scotland (I was living in SW London at the time), and 3 years when I commuted from Brighton - not very eco-friendly I know.

It did have a Fairey overdrive, a 3.5L V8, and an LPG conversion mind you (oh and a 2nd heater for the winter).

That sort of thing sorts the men from the boys  ;D ;D ;D (or the masochists from the normal people  ::) )

mab

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 09:22:38 am »
Oooooh!!  Opals...... Robert my OH would love you...
We have a Manta A (1972), and a Monza sitting in the garage, they actually need a fair bit of work done on them but OH doesnt have the time any more (he'd prob be happy to see them go to a good home for a few ££££.....I used to have an Ascona as well.

Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS