Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Southdown v Ryeland  (Read 5124 times)

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
Southdown v Ryeland
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:01:19 pm »
Hi I have a couple of sheep currently but looking to start a small flock and I was wondering which breed would be better on a small scale?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Southdown v Ryeland
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 02:02:08 pm »
This may not be much help because a) we've never had South Downs and b) most people big up their own chosen breed - in our case, Ryelands.

We picked Ryelands because they are quite small, docile and we liked the look of them. Since we bought our first ones in 2007, we haven't regretted it. They are smallish, docile, friendly (in the main), easily bribed by food, have great feet (onely ever had one lame), are good mums and lovely fleece. Their lamb is delicious. On the down side, they have a lot of fleece so some shearers don't much like them and you do have to watch carefully for fly strike, because of the quantity of fleece (although all sheep do need careful watching in the fly season).

I suspect that South Downs have similar characteristics to the Ryeland. My advice would be to pick the one YOU love most - getting up at 2am in the cold and dark at lambing time is less of a chore if you love the sheep you have.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44:51 am »
I absolutely agree make sure you get a breed you like.

In commercial terms Ryeland and Southdowns are a breed of ram. You might want to consider getting ewes of a breed or cross that has been bred for maternal characteristics. (eg llyn or mule) and use a southdown ram to sire meatier lambs. Thats how the commercial sheep industry works but if its more a hobby just get whatever breed you fancy. There is a lot more variation between good and bad examples of a breed than there is between a lot of breeds

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
I have Ryelands and 1 southdown, my friend breeds southdowns and yes they are very similar with wool everywhere and shearers can get a bit fussy but a good shearer that works with smallholders shouldn't be that bothered.

They are both very pretty sheep to look at and are good doers (conversion of grass to meat without any other feed) Ryelands still do well on poorer ground as long as there is plenty of it. I have also found that if a gate is left open they will wander a little way then go back to the field and don't wander off unlike my cross breeds.

My southdown is an old man that is now retired but he is fantastic in the paddock with any orphans we end up with and he is such a gentle guy who loves attention.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:44:55 am »
Thanks for this I may have solved the problem as I have seen 4 ewe lambs which are a cross of the two, just deciding if it would be a good idea to get a cross of the two!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:07 am »
If you want to make a bit cash from them in the longterm get pedigrees this is a personal lesson I have learnt, if they are pets and lambs for meat get what you like

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:19:13 am »

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:47:07 AM »
If you want to make a bit cash from them in the longterm get pedigrees this is a personal lesson I have learnt, if they are pets and lambs for meat get what you like
Thanks for that really helpful!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS