Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi there from South Africa  (Read 2621 times)

RobbyM

• Joined Oct 2009
Hi there from South Africa
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:31:41 am »
Hi there all  :wave:, I thought I would finally introduce myself and contribute were I can, after having been on this site for over a year.

I run a small herd of Landras x Large White on a 55 hectare farm in Riversdale South Africa, unfortunately we don't have too many indigenous breeds to choose from here, would love to import some Gloucestershire Old Spots, Tamworths but not sure how they would handle the heat in summer as we get up to 45 degrees C.

I lived in the UK , Portsmouth for 5 years many years ago, and the rest of my family have been living in the UK for the past 20 years, as though you didn't have enough of us already... ;D

Great site, like the new layout.

Regards
Robert

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hi there from South Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:46:48 am »
Hello from north Cumbria  :wave: where the climate couldn't be much more different to yours...

South Africa is on my list of places I will go before I die - but I'm scared to go in case I don't want to come back...

Looking forward to hearing more about it
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:49:13 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Tamworths might do OK as their long coats protect them from sunburn. If they had a wallow and brush cover, they would probably do fine  :)

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:17:27 am »
Hello Robert.  :wave:

I was lucky enough to get to South Africa a couple of times on business and loved it, although Jo'burg also terrified me!

Keep us posted if you do import pigs, very interesting.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:42:15 am »
Hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07:24 am »
Hi Robby
from a gloriously sunny North Yorkshire but only 9 degrees Cee!!
I'm a GOS keeper and would agree they'd strugle in your kind of temperatures, they're very prone to sunburn especially on the ears!! We use gallons of Ambre Solaire even in an English summer. Your best option is to go for darker skinned breeds like the Tamworth or Large Black. If you contact the relevant breed societies they may be able to help re export also the BPA (British Pig Association) has info on export of pigs.
Keep enjoying the pigs you got, we'll always talk piggy on here! ;D
best Mandy  :pig:

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »
Hi from a sunny but blustery North Yorkshire.

I was lucky enough to visit South Africa a couple of years ago (managed to watch a couple of the British Lions Tour games), and absolutely fell in love with the place.  We will definitely be doing a return visit at some stage.

Keep us posted on your experiences
 :wave:

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:17:14 pm »
Hi from Darzet!  :wave:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »
Hi from the South Coast, I get grumpy with the heat of our summers, God knows what i'd be like in your kind of heat :o :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:35 pm »
 :wave: Hi from wet and windy Shropshire.  Never been to your neck of the woods and couldn't take the heat.  Nearest I'm likely to get there is having a son-in-law from Zimbabwe.

Enjoy your pigs when you get them. :pig: :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS