Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump!  (Read 7544 times)

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
Lump!
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:53:05 pm »
Hiya, just had a cuddle with my sheep  and noiced one of my Shetland sheep has a couple of small lumps on the corner of his mouth, just wondered if anyone else had experienced this with their sheep?  He isn't in any pain, my hubby had a good feel around the area and he just stood there without a problem. 

He is approx 6months old, we were just wondering if we need to do anything or just wait and see, our sheep are pets so won't be going to the great sheep field in the sky any time soon  ;D and so we want to do our best for them.

Any advice would be great!

Blueeyes xx

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: Lump!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:57 pm »
strangly enough the new charollais ram we brought at the market a couple of weeks ago has the same thing, we have noticed on one side of his mouth right in the corner is enlarged, i thought maybe that he had caught it in the past?

maybe someone will know what it is?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:10:37 am »
Any chance of pictures?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 06:58:06 am »
I would avoid cuddling and touching it in case it's orf  :-\  Otherwise as Sally says a photo would be good.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:23:09 am »
ill take some on my phone today

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:26:41 am »
i will get some today

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:07:43 am »
Managed to get a photo of Seth's lump, he wasnt impressed at no cuddles though  :o

Had a look at orf and so hope it isnt that! Especially as we are always in close contact with them as they follow us around like puppies, he isnt in any pain and is eating perfectly well.

Thanks as always

Blueeyes xx

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 11:49:13 am »
Could be a thistle lump but if any more come or it looks red and blistering it may be orf, so take precautions just in case.
Better to safe than sorry

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 12:54:03 pm »
I've had orf on a cut on my finger and yes it's painful but really there are a lot of other things a lot worse.  Bad sunburn is about the same level of pain.  I still handle our orfy lambs without gloves, nearly always have healing wounds on my hands (I'm a farmer!) but have only had orf that once.  (Maybe having had it once I now have immunity?)

So yes of course take care, especially if you have any open wounds - but don't be in so much fear you can't handle your sheep as you want.  And if you do get it and don't handle pain well, well there's always paracetamol, arnica, whiskey - whichever works for you - to dull the pain. 

(Note, you drink the whiskey and it makes you not care about the pain.   ;) ;D  I don't think alcohol applied topically will make any difference to the wound!  I did, of course, self-treat with Daz and Septiclense.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:46 pm »
Sorry, forgot to say what I thought of the lump in your pics, Blueeyes.

Well, it could be orf but it doesn't look typical.  You can get orf blisters away from the mouth but not usually unless there are some blisters on the mouth and/or nose.  Typical first blisters are under the nostril above or on the lip there, and/or in the corner of the mouth or along the edge of the lips somewhere.  Orf blisters tend to be raw and seeping (or crusty if they've dried up) rather than clean spherical lumps, like the one in your picture.

So my money is on something other than orf.  If it's just a single lump (with two sublumps), maybe a bite or sting of some sort? 

If he's not in any pain with it, just keep a watching brief. 

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 02:22:53 pm »
And heres the lump in the corner of my rams mouth what do yu think it is?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »
andywalt, it's hard to say what caused the original lesion on your tup; as you say, it's been healing for more than two weeks.  It could have been orf, or something else.  Sorry to not be able to be certain.

If it was orf, he could have been shedding virus on arrival, so there's a possibility you may have some orf in your lambs next year.  But I really wouldn't be too panicked - you'll be vigilant of your lambs any way and will spot any problems good and early.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 04:34:16 pm »
thanks for the reply, i dont think its orf, other than the funny looking bit, the skin under it is thicker and harder, I will keep an eye on it

Blueeyes

• Joined Jul 2011
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 04:59:55 pm »
Thanks all for the replies, like Andy we will keep an eye on our sheep and be a little cautious with handling (saying that how can we refuse them cuddles  :D) I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not but if it is orf and we get it I will take Sallys advice tho substitute the whisky with vodka, tho saying that whisky would be quite nice in this cold, damp and miserable weather! It feels like winters well on it's way today!

Blueeyes xx

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 10:02:19 pm »
Both piccies look like some kind of wart to me, if they don't weep or burst that would be my guess....
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS