Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: starting with sheep  (Read 3264 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
starting with sheep
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:52:27 pm »
hi all!

I have finally acquired 10 acres of lovely flat pasture in south Devon, however with only 9 chickens walking around it looks a little bare lol! the grass is fairly long although i think it has more or less stopped growing now. We have decided that to start with we will keep sheep as they are good grazers, my grandfather was a sheep farmer so i am not a total newbie. i may be repeating a previously asked question but i  was wandering if anyone could be as kind as to list the necessary items for keeping sheep IE vaccinations, shears etc so i can prepare myself before it is too late!! many thanks on advance!!  p,s, we will not be lambing for quite some time so lambing instruments will not be necessary!

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: starting with sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:02:46 am »
Have a look at the Sheep guides on the main TAS site: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/sheep/

There's an equipment list here: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/sheep/sheep-equipment/

HTH.  :)

Farmer Fly

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:31:21 pm »
What kind of sheep are you looking for?
I have Jacob sheep for sale

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:05:57 pm »
Whereabouts in S. Devon are you? I'm near Newton Abbot :)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:09:31 pm »
we are near dartmouth, at the moment we are just looking for some store lambs not fussed about the breed, just to keep the grass down!! just hope we haven't left it too late as i cannot find any for sale near me! any one who knows someone in Devon who would have a dozen store lambs they would sell i would be very gratefully if you could email me some details

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:05:44 pm »
Cutcombe market will still be selling Exmoor store lambs.  Next sale 27th Oct, I think.

http://www.exmoorfarmers.co.uk/cutcombe.php
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS