Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plastic shopping bags  (Read 12915 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Plastic shopping bags
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 10:01:27 am »
the cat gets used as dusters. ...the dogs as floor mops.....

That's it, I'm off to report you to the RSPCA  ;) ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 10:03:10 am »
I don't use plastic bags any more but take cotton bags with me, and when they are done I sew some more. I try to recycle as much as possible and I also use a box on wheels that is brilliant for bottles and tins, much easier to get in the house and unpack.

I even recycle animal feed bags for packaging for fleeces that I sell

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 10:11:36 am »
I hope the scheme works and the money is used well and not swallowed up by 'red tape'

I have stopped in a few local shops and they have stated they will be collecting the majority of the money for local charities - which I think is a great idea - thats choice for the consumer - real choice.

Its also worth considering that it takes far less energy to produce a plastic bag than a paper bag or a cardboard box - and also worth considering that nothing really breaks down on a refuse site, infact they are designed not to break down waste as it produces dangerous gasses and run off. Even paper which is what is mostly in landfill could be dug-up in many years.

I think they should have concentrated more on giving 'green' point for the re-use of bags - maybe give 5p back to the consumer for every bag re-used.

I for one will be heading to the bin liner isle last thing when I go shopping as if I pay for a bag - I at least want it to be a re-usable functional bag when I get home - unlike carriers bags which are too small to use for anything else.

Baz

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 11:31:00 am »
My friend in Wales went to McDonalds, placed a large order and was asked if she wanted a bag (recycled paper) for 5p.  Apparently if you take your own bag they have to inspect it to make sure it's clean before they use it.

Is it just me  ;D ::)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 01:31:59 pm »
I went to town to by a pasty - and the shopkeeper told me that in Boots they could give you a plastic bag for free as long as you packed your goods in it outside!?  Cos until it was full - it wasnt classed as a 'carrier' bag?

I didnt need anything from boots so didnt try it out!?

Baz

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »
My local supermarket has a recycle bin for plastic bags, so i take any spare ones back. old horse rugs i use as protective covers over my rabbit and cavy hutches and the saddle pads are washed and reused at lambing time to warm up orphans and cold ones.
in our old bath we grew tomatos
old wellies i give to the cavies to hide inside that's if the smell doesn't kill them first ;D

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
They (the government) should have imposed the tax at a higher level - ie on production and most importantly purchase (by tesco, waitrose, sainburys etc etc!) - no consumer takes a bag home unless they need it - hence they store them and discard them - tax the people that need to produce it - tax the supermarkets!

Baz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 03:33:33 pm »
I guarantee that out of he 5p collected in this scheme - most will be spent on the armchair the guy sits on the decide where whats left of the 5p is going.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »
I guarantee that out of he 5p collected in this scheme - most will be spent on the armchair the guy sits on the decide where whats left of the 5p is going.

;D ;D

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 11:15:56 pm »
I know I am answering my own post to a certain extent - so sorry about that -

but charging 5p for a bag in your local chip shop or local store (as is the case) is just a farce.  Granted the thought is there, we all need to be aware of the cost of production of bags and the cost to our environment - but why not just pass it on within the costing margins of your establishment? Oh hang on - thats whats most local stores have been doing since the year dot.

5p a bag - fecking red tape! none of it is actually going to solve any problems

(signed a welsh 5p paying carrier bag man!)

Baz

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:23 am »
the cat gets used as dusters. ...the dogs as floor mops.....

That's it, I'm off to report you to the RSPCA  ;) ;D

You beat me to it Sally, I hit reply then realised there was another page ;D
the dog as a floor mop I can almost picture, but does cat have a fluffy tail? :o  ;D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 05:43:20 am »
The cat and dog recycling sounds good, but working it through logicaly- if it wasn't for having them in the first place we wouldn't need to wash the floor or do the dusting so often, ...........sort of self generating shitmachines really.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 07:02:05 am »

[/quote]
the dog as a floor mop I can almost picture, but does cat have a fluffy tail? :o  ;D
[/quote]

[/quote author=tizaala link=topic=18684.msg176545#msg176545 date=1317962600]
...........sort of self generating shitmachines really.
[/quote]

that so made me laugh - and they are self-generating pee machines - judging only from how many times a day our elderly cat misses the loo (almost like a man :D)
OH threatened his last cat for years to make a muff or hat out of her but when she died it didn't happen - would have been nice to have something to remember her by.  ;D: cat: :&>

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:28 pm »
Shopping bags was one of the things I really liked about moving here...everyone has one. Often the lovely basket type carried bu both men and women, baskets that live in the car boot, lovely cotton bags everywhere, everyone has something!...Also every supermarket charges for and refunds on bottls plastic and glass. Each store has a little machine that you feed your bottle into it reads it and credits the charge then at the end churns out a recipt wich is redemable as cash or against your shopping at the till.
People here also do lots of little shopping trips not the huge trolly loads that I used to do in the UK1

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 01:35:17 pm »
My GSD sits and his tail goes side to side so fast he cleans the floor I just now have to work out how to get him to do the whole floor daily ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS