Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plastic shopping bags  (Read 12877 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Plastic shopping bags
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:30:46 am »
From tomorrow all shops in Wales will be charging for carrier bags.  the rest of the country will follow soon.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Plastic shopping bags
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:32:16 am »
 :( :( :(

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:53:21 am »
Isn't it a good thing? Much more of a concern is that as of today Scotland has brought in bans on supermarkets discounting alcohol.   :gloomy:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:21:12 am »
bloody supermarkets are to much in control >:(

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:45:41 am »
The Co-op here in Wales is going to be charging 5p for a standard plastic bag of which you'd need 2 because they are so thin. They are selling a thicker plastic 'bag for life' at 10p... when it breaks a handle or the bottom falls out of it, you can take it back for a free replacement... forever. Just keep taking it back and getting new bags for free. Next up in the range is a 50p microfibre mesh bag, then a £1 cotton bag.

I don't know what the other leading supermarkets in Wales have planned.

Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:56:52 am »
I shop at the co op for what bits I need. I use the bags for life which they replace when worn for free. Clothes shops are different I suppose cause they need to advertise as well, but they should still be free fort that reason.

Oddbod

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:37:20 am »
I use the bags for rubbish instead of buying them, I am sure other people do that as well and as they are so thin, you often have a job getting inside without the bottom ripping.

I have some old fashioned bags that used to belong to my parents and thats great!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 02:27:16 pm »
It should be interesting here in Wales when someone buys a really nice outfit and then they have to pay 5p for what is essentially a rubbishy plastic bag. Perhaps we should have paper ones, but then again that opens another can of worms. What happened to the good old fashioned shopping bags that all Mums used to carry around before the invasion of plastic.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 05:33:07 pm »
Do you mean the brown paper ones with string handles? They were really good unless it rained :-\ I use a couple of cousin- made cloth bags nowadays :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »
We too use carrier bags for rubbish.  They are just the right size to fit a waste bin.  I have a collection of shopping bags which I usually forget to take with me, or take them but leave them in the car.  My husband does most of the household shopping, travels by bus and is a guide dog owner.  He finds it impossible to carry many bags as the dogs harness is in his left hand so he uses a large rucksack.  He can get a whole load of shopping in it.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 07:42:20 am »
we use them for rubbish too but they tend to come in quicker than they get used. If shops charge for bags I will remember to take my own! Strange thing that I always remember at Aldi or Lidl to either take a cardboard box or my own bags (they have been charging for bags from day 1) but not if I go for groceries in a different supermarket...bad habits! ::) :&>

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:14:00 am »
Our village shop reuse plastic shopping bags, so we and most of the village just save them in one, when it's full take it to the shop with us.

Sadly the shop is up for sale as the owners are wanting to retire, so far no takers and we are told that, if not sold by then, the shop will be closed down at Christmas  :'(  Another nail in the coffin of village life.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:10 am »
Can i pass a gentle comment -
if you use the plastic bags for rubbish then is that not going to cause a problem for decomposing the rubbish they contain? These bags take hundreds of years to break down so will act as a protective barrier for the contents!!  I never use plastic bags for putting out rubbish, only use recycled decomposable binliners which get used several times before they are themselves chucked. In this house, any carrier bags get reused untill they are completely gubbed.

Just a thought!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 08:57:39 am »
you are my eco hero, pikilily!  ;D
very good suggestion. I must say that we do not have much rubbish, are good recyclers and composters and soon all paper tissues will go in the new stove. And I don't seal the bags when they go in the bin - no idea if we have landfill or an incinerator here.... My aim is just to reduce plastic bags in my house in general, will sort them and give them to the local charity shop which is always short of them - and of course be more disciplined when shopping! :wave: :&>

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:45:17 am »
its just habit NFD !! My son completed his sustainable environmental management degree last year.  Reduce, ReUse, ReCycle is our moto!!

old trashed horse rugs get used for protecting woodpiles, old buckets get taped and used for gardening untill there is more tape than bucket, old saddle pads get used as dogbed padding. old duvets the same...once they are sewn into smaller sections. the cat gets used as dusters. ...the dogs as floor mops.....see its easy!!  ;D ;D

One of my friends NEVER uses carrier bags. she has several large plastic boxes (the storage type) and she goes to the supermarket with them in the boot of her car. She feels that they protect delicate food too. and makes it easier to bring the shopping in.
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS