Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very old apple tree in Ayrshire  (Read 2856 times)

Paul Mack

• Joined Sep 2011
Very old apple tree in Ayrshire
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »
Hi,

I have just bought a late victorian house in Ayrshire that has an apple tree in the garden that didn't do very will this year, the previous owner said that she thought the tree could quite possibly be about 100 years old. I am not sure that the poor thing is in the best of health and would like some advice on whether a good prune would help? The wind this year hasn't helped and the leaves are quite brown and curled - so not sure if it might have something or other else wrong with it? I am not terribly advanced on looking after fruit trees but have studied the RHS Encyclopedia regarding apples but am none the wiser.

Help!

Paul

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Very old apple tree in Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:48:05 pm »
I responded to you in Womble's thread.  :)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: Very old apple tree in Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »
Here is a very old idea that used to be common place till about the 1950's . It was used to keep old orchards going by doing every third or fourth tree

If you are adventurous now or spring is the time to think of felling the tree about four  feet off the ground if the bole is sound  then cut off another foot to give you a nice clean top with a slight drainage slope .

Now graft in some four or five  two foot long sicons at the cut bark , get them off three or four friends trees that they say are a decent apple .

Seal the grafts up and seal the top . In about four years time the grafts should be producing fruit .

I think you can actualy  graft to as low as about 12 inches off the ground but the extra height of three feet is usefull to lift the new branches to a working height out the nettles etc. as quickly as nature allows.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS