Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 12071 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Introduction
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 05:13:58 pm »
Why?

no idea lol
I can't budge him  on the subject at the moment lol

But i'll keep chipping away

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 06:43:07 pm »
Hi Karen,
I think I will be jumping in with the geese but the pigs maybe more of a problem.  I have no experience at all with keeping them, which is why I'm more hesitant.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth,
I had no experience with pigs either (- hubby worked on a commercial pig farm many years ago, so was on-hand for advice, but as it was MY idea - he left it all up to me!)
we got 2 weaners and kept them in an area just under half an acre, we were raisng them purely for meat & as a trial run for me getting some breeding pedigree ones.
But really, my 2 were like big dogs - easy to handle, pleased to see you every day (or maybe it was the food bucket they liked?) and presented no major problems other than 2 or 3 escapes through the none to powerfull battery operated electric fence. The most memorable being when they managed to get into the kitchen and lock themselves in with the dogs while I was out one afternoon  :o not too easy on the nose, but after a few buckets of hot soapy water it was fine !  ;)
So all you really need for raising pigs is good strong fencing, a holding number and a wicked sense of fun & adventure. Obviously if you're going to breed them you'll need more space, time and expertise but without sounding too calous a couple of weaners raised to pork weight is the best way to get the experience. 'Starting with Pigs' by Andy Case is a wee book that was invaluable to me & I'd recommend it for lots of good info.
Good luck, whatever you decide  :pig:  :pig:  :pig:  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 09:21:17 pm »
Why?

no idea lol
I can't budge him  on the subject at the moment lol

But i'll keep chipping away
Bring him over to meet my rescue girls - he might like the idea of saving lives?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 05:29:04 pm »
HH with pigs you just have to jump in too.  Read Starting with Pigs by Andy Case.   Get a couple of neutered weaners that way you cant keep them for breeding and if you really cant part with them they make nice, if somewhat large pets.  (Huge hint here, if you do keep them as pets by a second sofa as you will never find space on the original one).  Pigs are wonderful if a little addictive.  We started with Hilary  some years ago, she and her brother were going to fill the freezer, well that was not on Hilary's agenda.  Her brother duly went into the freezer; Hilary is still ruling the roost.

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Invergordon - Ross-shire
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 05:55:27 pm »
I have been looking at just that all morning.  I need to have a confab with the local farmer (our farmhouse sits right in the middle of his crop/beef farm) also need to get in touch with DEFRA.  Biggest hurdle is HUBBY.  He cant understand the logic at the moment.  Unfortunately I really like the KuneKune which is smaller but in my heart of hearts I know it wouldn't be for the freezer.  However I am hoping to kidnap hubby for a weekend and enrolling us on a pig keeping course.  Once he has hands on experience he may be hooked!!  I'll let you know. 
Elizabeth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:48 pm »
Good luck Elizabeth. Fingers crossed that you win hubby around.

James
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:37:00 pm by jameslindsay »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:09 pm »

Bring him over to meet my rescue girls - he might like the idea of saving lives?

dought it animals are for eatting according to tam.

Linz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 07:24:19 am »
 :pig:  It took me over 2 years to convince other half I should have pigs, he preferred to spend hours and hours and hours cutting the sedge.  One day in a weak moment he said yes I could have pigs, although he changed his mind within hours.  Too late.  I had been on the web, sourced the pigs and made arrangements, not easy in Brittany at that time, rare breeds were few and far between, which is why we got Hilary 1/2 GOS 1/2 mule. 

Now over 5 years on he is even more addicted than I am. 

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 08:11:03 am »
Broached the Kune Kune subject last night with the other half.  He's more than willing to go with me on a Kunes course!!!  Lovely man.  His only stipulation was 'not for the pot'.  Cant argue with that.
So I'm busy scouring the net to find vacancies for early summer. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 08:28:20 am »
Mine was the other way around he stipulated just 2 and for the freezer.  Now mention bacon or freezer and Hilary in the same breath to him almost grounds for divorce.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 10:45:05 pm »
Don't be worried about getting piggies, we've just started and its a hoot, the kids just love them. I love getting out to look after them, very theraputic! You'll need a fair amount of ground though, we put them in a reasonable sized old overgrown vegetable garden a week ago and they've turned it to muck in that time alone. This garden was full of root veg and was overgrown with grass. Today it looks like the Somme.

Morgan :farmer:

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 06:43:18 am »
Hi Morgan,
I'm committed, hubby is coming round.  It all depends on regulations and the local farmer.  I've been reading through the DEFRA paraphernalia.  I'm sure its all designed to scare and confuse prospective owners!  However I'm a strong believer in positive thinking, so I will rally on.
Elizabeth

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 09:54:39 pm »
Hi Elizabeth,

One thing I can tell you is that you'll never be short of a helping hand in this forum! All the advice you'll ever need can be found here...best of irish luck to you!

Morgan  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS