Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 12072 times)

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Invergordon - Ross-shire
Introduction
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:31:33 am »
Good Morning to All,

I have stumbled across this forum quite by accident, what a find!  So here is a gentle introduction.
We live in the midst of farming land but have just under an acre of garden, not enough for a proper smallholding but I live in hope!  At present we have 3 dogs (2 Spinones and a spaniel) and a cat.  We are collecting our hens (Warrens) in a few weeks, cant wait!
My dream is to add Scots Greys or Scots Dumpys, a couple of Geese and a couple of pigs.
I have experience with hens but not Geese or pigs, so I have to do some serious research before jumping in. 

This is a great site for information and advise I think I will be here often!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:48:27 am »
Welcome to the happy farm!  I'm sometimes up your way when I visit my sister in Inverness. Used to be in Aberdeenshire.  Have dropped from 21 acres 15 years ago to one down here, all i could get for my money!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:58:20 am »
Hi, I have 2 Roman Geese (did have 3 but sadly the fox got 1 a few months ago). I have no idea what age they are but I have had them for almost 2 years. They are very low maintenance and bring great entertainment.  I feed mine layers pellets and they have total freedom of our 4 acres. We are situated on the side of the River Eden and after being here for about 6 months they finally ventured off onto the river. The river gives them total freedom and they really have a brilliant life. They have made friends with a group of swans and they take off and spend time exploring the estuary. Often when I go out and can't see them on the water, if I shout on them they make a noise just to let me know they are OK. I do like to lock them up in their hut at night but some nights they have better ideas and refuse to come in off the river. However, first thing the next morning they are back screaming for their bread. They also love lettuce and often share a bucket of food that the goats are eating, that means a fight between them and the goats. Never a dull moment.

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:00:48 am »
Thank you for the welcome Annie.  A lot can be done with one acre, I see you also breed gundogs.  They look fantastic!  My husband gave up his guns a long time ago, but we love the temperament of the gundogs.
Elizabeth :farmer:

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:09:59 am »
Hi James
Brilliant! but I'm green.  Oh to be a goose keeper but I live in hope.  I was looking at the Toulouse Geese (easier sexing and smaller).  I have been told Geese are easy to keep it would be a first for us.  So plenty of reading ahead.
Elizabeth

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:31:17 pm »
Hello HH and welcome!

Used to live up your way (Alness) many years ago but now am on the Isle of Lewis.  This is a great forum and very friendly, hope you find lots of answers here.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:40:38 pm »
Hi and welcome, dont need much land to be a smallholder, just loads of determination, patience, and an angel on your shoulder to remind you that you CANNOT really CANNOT kill that bl() dy lot from DEFRA  (and planning)

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:49:45 pm »
Hi Dave,
2 minutes along the road, small world.  Isle of Lewis is beautiful, used to go there often.

and

Hi Hilarysmum,
Thanks for the encouragement.  I am coming round to your way of thinking!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:04:55 pm »
Highland Haggis, this is my boys( the geese), just a short clip I ttk a few minutes ago. They hiss and make a lot of noise but are not aggreesive. As I said earlier they are great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqQC7QHEqXk

James

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:34:19 pm »
Hello from me in Lanarkshire  ;D
The best advice I can give you is just get stuck in, even if you go to courses and read all the books going - it'll still be a steep learning curve, but everyone here will give you any advice you need.
Get yourself a holding number and get your pigs - it'll be great ! (Must point out I'm piggin' mad  :pig: ;D so maybe don't take that bit of advice!)
Looking forward to hearing how you get on
Karen

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 04:53:22 pm »
hya from fws when i get hens, what dumpys but i think it'll take a while as my hubby is dead against chickens at the moment

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »
t i think it'll take a while as my hubby is dead against chickens at the moment
Why?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:40 pm »
They hiss and make a lot of noise but are not aggreesive. As I said earlier they are great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqQC7QHEqXk

James
They look f(lipp)ing aggressive to me.  Just like that Sarah Goose when i was 4!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 04:59:58 pm »
hello highland haggis, very welcome to the gang, weve found our geese very easy to keep, we had 2 for xmas dinner the other 2 were destined for the pot but theyve just started laying huge white eggs so a change of heart and we will keep them on for layers. best of luck...............neil

Highland Haggis

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 05:11:15 pm »
Hi James,
They are wonderful.  I am sorely tempted.  I have been on the net going through the different breeds and temperaments.  I have an idea what would be suitable here, its finding them when I've decided.

and

Hi Karen,
I think I will be jumping in with the geese but the pigs maybe more of a problem.  I have no experience at all with keeping them, which is why I'm more hesitant.

Elizabeth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS