Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which drum carder?  (Read 28970 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Which drum carder?
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
Hello everyone!

I've been looking at getting a drum carder for a while but haven't been able to justify the cost - even on ebay!  Today my mum has said that she will buy me a carder for my birthday/christmas :D  Very lucky!
We keep Ryelands, so that is the fleece that I work with most often and I use an Ashford wheel.

Do I stick to Ashford, or do I go down the Louet or Barnett route?  What would you suggest?

(Aiming to buy the carder to use as a display at a craft fair on 15th October).
 :sheep:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Which drum carder?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:23:40 pm »
I use an Ashford drum carder because that is what was available and what I could afford at the time.  It has a medium pin size and spacing on the carding cloth which works well for me but might not be fine enough for your Ryeland fleece ( I have not spun pure Ryeland so I can't say for sure).  Ideally you would want to see the carders which would mean visiting a SHOP  :o :o but hopefully someone on here will have a firm recomendation for you so you can buy online.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »
I rang.. a SHOP  :o
The nearest shop is about an hour away, so I picked her brains about what she would recommend for spinning Ryeland fleece. 
She recommended a 36ppi Ashford (http://sarastexturecrafts.com/products/2798--ashford-drum-carder-72ppi-fine.aspx).  I thought most people used 72ppi, but have been told that those are better for pre-carded and finer wools.  She also said that some people use two carders, a 36 and 72 for ease.  If I had the money...

Opinions?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:09:19 pm »
Try www.classiccarder.co.uk - a new company, very good service over the phone and it is cheaper than Ashford, and made in th UK !!!! I bought one and it works very well!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:15 pm »
Those are beautiful Anke - I really love the oak one.......... :love:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:00:18 am »
I gave in and bought one  ::) ::) ;D  It arrives on Friday (hobbit present as it's my OHs birthday  8)).  I chose an ash one in the end because I wanted one with plenty of grain detail in the wood. 

If I like it then my Ashford drum carder will be for sale........

Anke - what ppi did you get?  Mine is 72, for mostly Heb fleece and I am hoping that will be ok.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 12:25:20 pm »
My new Classic Carder has just arrived and looks well made and attractive. I will start using it later today and let you know how it performs.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 04:29:21 pm »

Anke - what ppi did you get?  Mine is 72, for mostly Heb fleece and I am hoping that will be ok.

I also got the 72 one, it works well for my mostly shetland and shetland x fleeces, I haven't tried the Gotland X texels on it yet.

Well pleased with mine - also I wanted it because of the reduced airmiles.... it is so rare that you can buy a "Made in Britain" product nowadays

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 05:15:18 pm »
yes, and one where you can speak with the craftsman who made it  :)  Thank you again for your recommendation  :thumbsup:

spad

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:52:21 am »
I have just found this forum researching drum carders, and i am  wondering which to go for, i am new to spinning and my next purchase will be a drum carder any information gratefully received .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:16:46 am »
Hi there  :wave:  I would now recommend Anke's suggestion of a classic carder   www.classiccarders.co.uk .  They are well priced, well made and of course British so no import overheads.  You can speak with the man who makes them and discuss exactly what you need.  His wife is a spinner so he understands just what you are trying to say and is really helpful, as well as proud of his product.

I sold my Ashford and bought a classic carder and I love it.  As well as traditional wood, he also paints some - which makes for a modern look (although for me the wooden ones fit in better)

Otherwise, it really depends on how much money you have.  Ashford carders are cheap (ish) and cheerful but not elegant, whereas some of the other makes are better designed, but all do the job.  It's a great opportunity to shop around and spend some time on the internet   ::)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:48 am »
I love coming accross new-to-me threads on this forum!!!  I will be buying a carder this year and will have beulah lamb fleece from my new flock.  It seems quite fine to me (on the sheep - I have been longingly feeling their fleeces everytime I brinmg them in to have a check of them!!!), compared to what I have been spinning - does anyone have any thoughs/experience on which guage cardeer would be most suitable?  Will call the man if not.  Great to have found a UK craftsman Thanks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:14:06 pm »
Hi there  :wave:  I would now recommend Anke's suggestion of a classic carder   www.classiccarders.co.uk
I think that should be www.classiccarder.co.uk ?  I couldn't get anywhere with the pluralised one, and this one looks like the guy you are talking about.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 03:23:42 pm »
oops - thanks Sally  ::)

spad

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 05:36:55 pm »
thank you for the info on classic carders , i am all for buying British,   they do look  fairly sturdy, some  others i have seen do get jammed up with wool round the mechanics , do these come apart  easily ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS