Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I want some ducks!! Please  (Read 4798 times)

sandy

I want some ducks!! Please
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:41:12 pm »
Now I have decided to get some ducks, I think they would love my garden, at first I was worried that I have no grass but everyday I pick loads of greens from the wild for my chickens, we also have a small pond so 2 ducks would be great, I am going to make a shed for them,,,,,and I will...so, any duck around to go to a good home?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: I want some ducks!! Please
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:49:20 pm »
I have plenty of indian runner drakes you can have.....
Ian

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »
Hi Hexhammeasure

I have 6 Indian Runner Duck eggs in my incubator at present. I have no experience of Runners but do of other ducks, any advice?

Thanks

James

sandy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:47:43 pm »
My daughter had indian runners, too active I think for me, I like my animals to be plodders (like me) They are funny to watch as they do move around very quickly and stand more upright..... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 09:10:21 pm »
I think she needs a couple of female Khaki Campbells.  What's the point of having ducks that don't 'quack'.  Did you listen to mine today, Sandy?  The girls quack, but Jack just squeaks.  Drakes don't 'quack'.

I had a lovely dinner with Sandy and Steve and their friend Robin the tree surgeon.  My scrappy chopped off leylandii are no more thanks to Robin!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:37:37 pm »
Yes, I would like a male and a female, they also need a pen, I am going to sort something out after a trip to the tip!!!!! Love the photo, Steve and his "Dad"

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:08:17 pm »
More Steve and Robin, and the before photo, plus the sheep we saw at the Dam
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:16:35 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 06:38:16 pm »
our runners are hilarious... they run round chasing bugs and worms when i'm digging. They are male and female so we get the whole shebang of noises. our favourite is their 'laughing' just before dusk. if we are in the lambing shed we can hear them through the partition.... you'd think one had told a joke and all all the others would start their laugh ... I wish i could record it....
Ian

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 06:41:36 pm »
Hi james

I don't think the runners are any different to other ducks when rearing. they just don't like flying when they get older. I do think they are braver than most ducks as they run around the shrubbery without a care in the world. not brave enough to allow you to pick them up tho.
Ian

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:08:44 pm »
Thanks, I am really looking forward to the arrival, 3 weeks to go!

James

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS